Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Comparison to my first sprites: Two years later

Hey there everyone. I started on a couple of sprite sheets the other day. I'm sending one to Shane to finish and I'll work on the other myself. I thought they looked pretty good (even if I am biased) and I thought I should do a comparison to the first sprite I uploaded for your feedback and the sprites that I used in my embarrassingly bad Steam Greenlight video:

Nathaniel-spriting-two-years-progress.jpg

In late 2014 I looked up some spriting tutorials, and the one I started off with wasn't really meant for templates. The steps basically were this: Make a really big canvas. Draw your picture in three main colors. Draw semi-transparent black and white layers over your picture for light and shadow. Shrink your picture down to the size you actually want. Switch the color to "indexed" in order to get a pixelated look.

That technique might work OK for big characters like in a fighting game, but it really doesn't work for small sprites like in an RPG. That technique ended up making tons of problems for me that I won't go into, and the sprite sheets took a huge amount of time (even more than they should) and still didn't turn out great.

Fast-forward to December 2016, where Himeko Sutori has progressed pretty far, and where I have two years of experience drawing sprites. The guys at the bottom are sporting the paladin and ranger armor, with separate layers for some accessories that I'll use to differentiate the bottom tier from the top tiers. I'm not saying these are perfect. But I do think they're a big improvement.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.