Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Cartoon RTP

I needed a cartoon style for my game, but didn't wanna make new tilesets.
This is a recolored master-set of the RTP:
before:
rtpmap.jpg

after:
rtpmapcartoon-1.png

How does it look? Is it too bright/too contrasted?
I know some places are dithered, it's because I reduced the amount of colors. I'm working to fix them.

Edit: new screen shots.
before:
rtpmap.jpg

after:
cartoonrtp4.jpg

cartoonrtp5.jpg

Actually I think this looks nice. The original looks a little more serious, but the second is more relaxing.
The one thing I've noticed is the shading looks a little darker in places, like on the small group of... idk plants... between the two trees on the right side, the shading for some reason looks off to me, and the pines also look like they're a little off. Other than that nice work. looks great

You have sharp eyes, I edited the small plants and the trees.
Now when I look at it, they're too contrasted. Here's a quick edit:
cartoonrtp3.png

The grass and cliffs were changed too.

better?

Wow, that looks really nice, and in some aspects much better than the original RTP.

I dont really notice anything wrong with it at the moment. :thumb:

It's Time for Windsavers Review!

Anyhow. I like how it still has the RTP Effect but it is way to blue to be water. Also the grass shade is very dotty. Try to blend it using a shade possibly in the middle of the two colours. But still it's a good start. Well Done! 3/5 :thumb:

lol, only 3? I'll change the water, but the grass will be a project of its own.
The current grass is actually LESS grainy than the RTP one.
Anyway. I'll probably make my own grass tile and apply it to all autotiles, like water and path.

I think that that little brids nest look awkward... it just doesn't see to look like it belongs in the tree... it looks like a sticker or something also the shape of the barrel looks a little off and your mushrooms seem really pale in comparison to everything else... the grass also doesn't look right either... try maybe less brown speck and put in another shade of green... maybe idk

looks nice though keep going

UPDATE
-new grass tile
-new auto tiles
-new cliff tiles to go with the grass.
cartoonrtp4.jpg

cartoonrtp5.jpg
Do you like the new grass? I've been working on it for a long time.

I know the auto tiles don't fit.
The grass tile was changed since I made them, so they use an older grass tile.

======
MCsephiroth13":1neb382r said:
I honestly can't tell the difference, other than it's brighter than the original and the watere is blue-er
I said in the first post,and I quote: "This is a recolored master-set of the RTP"
promiser":1neb382r said:
I"m sorry but that bird's nest still bugs me :cry:
That's the RTP nest, and it bugs me too. But I'm not touching it at the moment.

avaton

Your work is really amazing my friend. If you gonna post a release of tilesets and you give me permission i'm gonna use 'em for my game for sure. Because my game is based on an anime(japanese cartoon) so those cartoonish tilesets suits more to it :D

This is actually pretty nice. Beats the RTP we've been looking at for the last few years. The grass, though, you can see where it's repetitive. The tree's aren't much different either - just less colors.
But this is a great project.

-Lonelyelf

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.