Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Anyone want to write a short story every day for a year?

I think Sailerius and I are gonna do this. Is anyone else cool enough to join us?

The idea is flash fiction (<1000 words) and not spending more than like an hour. No minimum wordcount except that the story must be complete.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Would be kinda' hard to do one every day since some days I'm really busy with work and other stuff... but maybe once a week for a year lol

Yep, I think prompts are necessary. We'll be finding some to use. If people are seriously interested in this, we can arrange a place to post the prompts and also the stories if people wanna share. Good excuse to get over squeamishness about showing people your writing, too.

So it turns out that Unity just announced a contest today. I was planning to make a Unity game in roughly this timeframe anyway, and I really want to enter the contest, but I'll need to pour basically all of my free time and energy into it for the next two months. So unfortunately I don't know if I'll be able to write a full story every day until that's over. I'm thinking I'm going to switch to doing some concept art every day instead, which is a lot less investment than writing.

Maybe we can change it so there's a daily prompt and you can choose to write a story or draw a picture or compose a song or whatever it is you do. Would anyone be interested in that?

As for where to host it, ehhh, I think a forum probably isn't a great medium. Thoughts on a blog versus Twitter versus tumblr?

I've decided to quit being on forums when i can, I think personally a skype group would be the best idea. Twitter is a bit too lackluster and I don't even have a tumblr.

I don't mind the twist on it, any practice is good practice.

I've written poems every day for a couple of months in the past, and I can tell you it's freaking hard to keep up with it. That and you also go through some really stagnant days.

A daily creative thing? Like you said, Peri - writing, art, music, etc. Gets the bones going.

Where to host is difficult as like... Everyone's got different preferences... :(

Spoo

Sponsor

I dig the idea of a daily creativity dump. There are several verses in my head that have never made it onto paper simply because I put it off for too long.

Fayte

Sponsor

I think 1 a day is too taxing a brings too much pressur. bring this back with 1 a week and you might be on to something.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Fayte":ufa0xueh said:
I think 1 a day is too taxing a brings too much pressur. bring this back with 1 a week and you might be on to something.

Yeah, that's exactly what I suggested lol, once a week would work for sure... you can make a thread and try to revive it if you like

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.