Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Anitmated Sand Autotile Expansion Pack

This was posted, in several individual parts, a couple years back. I'm re-posting it now, since it seems to have vanished from the net.

This is a large expansion pack which has animated autotiles – these autotiles give you the ability to create rivers and waterfalls of sand, as well as pits of quick-sand! It was based on the RTP sand tile, so I guess it's technically frankenpixled rather than original. For RPGM XP.

Preview:
sand_river_up.png

Download the ZIP file HERE

regi

Sponsor

Ahh, very nice! I remember when this was made for one of my requests years ago. The pack looks great and definitely looks like it could have come with the RTP!

Regi":1vmgbdex said:
Ahh, very nice! I remember when this was made for one of my requests years ago. The pack looks great and definitely looks like it could have come with the RTP!
Oh, yeah. I remember you making that request, now. Time really flies. :P And, thanks.

I wanted to add a lot of other stuff to it (bigger whirlpools, additional animations like sand pouring through walls, and so on) but I never got around to it. Maybe someday I'll do some more work on this, and release a complete expansion pack.

Very nice pixel work. The quick sand animation is amazing.
There are some things that need work, though.
In the quick sand, only 9x9 tiles animate correctly.
The sand river auto tiles only work in a straight line, so you can't make a curled river with it. You should also consider fixing the sandfall auto-tile's sides so they'll connect with the cliff, like in the RTP waterfall.

This is great! I will try it out! Good Work. Also it hasn't dissapeared from the internet maybe just the original site has removed the picture^^

silver wind":u6vkfgj1 said:
Very nice pixel work. The quick sand animation is amazing.
Thank you.

In the quick sand, only 9x9 tiles animate correctly.
I know. I posted this in several parts way back when, and had notes for each autotile. Originally I posted that the quicksand autotile only works in small arrangements, not large. My plan was to make characterset animations in larger arrangements.

The sand river auto tiles only work in a straight line, so you can't make a curled river with it.
I only intended it to be used in a straight line - making animated connections for each of the four directions would be a real pain to do. But thanks for the suggestion.

You should also consider fixing the sandfall auto-tile's sides so they'll connect with the cliff, like in the RTP waterfall.
The sandfall autotile should look just fine coming off a cliff, that's what it was designed for. So I'm not quite certain what you mean by this.

They aren't perfect, and there are some usage notes I had for them that are lost. So I guess anyone who wants to use them will have to use a process of trial & error to figure it out. :P

I didn't mean to complain, it's a great tileset as-is.
Just thinking, the sand river autotile would make a cool muddy river if it was 'curled'.

The sandfall autotile should look just fine coming off a cliff, that's what it was designed for. So I'm not quite certain what you mean by this.
Sorry, my bad. x.x; I was using the tile on layer 2 with no cliff behind it, so it seemed broken.

silver wind":5jb55t3f said:
I didn't mean to complain, it's a great tileset as-is.
Naw, it's fine. I'm just letting people know, a little late :P, that there are some caveats to this autotile pack.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.