Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Zelda styled scrolling.

Edit:
Okay, so my friend helped me make the NPC. I've even made an enemy that can be killed in 2 hits. I might make a tutorial later.
But I still need help with the zelda styled scrolling.
I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about, right?

I can think of a couple ways.
The easiest is invert "when ____ on screen" scroll to position. So if the Player or sprite is not on the screen, It'll scroll to a new position on the layout.
But you probably want each room or area to be a different layout. I don't think you can "scroll" from one layout to another. But you can fake it. Use dummy graphics of the surrounding areas on that layout. So when the player gets to edge of a map you slide the dummy graphics to the center of the screen, then go to the new layout. Make sense?

onzephyr

Awesome Bro

I used a map scroll style similar to Zelda's for my drunken wizard game.

Here is an example file of how I did it.
Zelda_map_movement.capx

like Coyotecraft said there are lots of ways to do it. I chose this way because it allowed me to simply position rooms were I wanted them and not have to think about the camera.

coyotecraft":2q9we9gw said:
I can think of a couple ways.
The easiest is invert "when ____ on screen" scroll to position. So if the Player or sprite is not on the screen, It'll scroll to a new position on the layout.
But you probably want each room or area to be a different layout. I don't think you can "scroll" from one layout to another. But you can fake it. Use dummy graphics of the surrounding areas on that layout. So when the player gets to edge of a map you slide the dummy graphics to the center of the screen, then go to the new layout. Make sense?
Hmm, this is the way I was planning on doing it, but it didn't like my computer. Sometimes it would just not work...
I know it might just be my computer, but if I can't get it working on my own computer then I need to try a different method...
onzephyr":2q9we9gw said:
I used a map scroll style similar to Zelda's for my drunken wizard game.

Here is an example file of how I did it.
Zelda_map_movement.capx
like Coyotecraft said there are lots of ways to do it. I chose this way because it allowed me to simply position rooms were I wanted them and not have to think about the camera.
I like the way this is done... I might try and attempt to do it this way.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.