Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ye Witty Battle Dialogue Script Request NON SDK

I am looking for a simple standalone, NON-SDK script.

My proposed script may fit in with the "Battle Add-ons" category. This is a "Battle Dialogue" script. Maybe that's not the best name for it, but it's the first one that came to mind.

My proposed script is to implement a system of character dialogue during battle. These messages occur automatically and disappear on their own without delaying battle. The idea is to have a character or enemy speak a line of dialogue throughout the battle. This can occur on such instances as:

• A dialogue displays while choosing actions at the start of a turn.
  • Whenever a character/enemy attacks, uses a skill, uses an item, defends, is damaged, defeats an enemy, is defeated, runs away, or is victorious.

The messages can be randomly chosen from a set of possible messages. The messages do NOT need to be displayed at every possible event. I made up some poorly photoshopped mock-up images to give you an idea of what this would look like, potentially:

Mock-up Screenshot [1] | [2] | [3] | [4] | [5] | [6]

This system is intended for the Default Battle System, though I guess technically if you cared you could possibly implement it in your compatibility-issue alternative battle systems! ^_^

It sounds like parts of this could be complicated, and it could be overall tedious. For having an array of dialogues to be randomly selected, what I'm envisioning is probably something like MoMo's Bestiary where you can read information on enemies. After all, I'm pretty sure that what dialogue is written should be user-created, so that the person making the game can decide what dialogue is appropriate and relevant. A character that's made of bacon for instance could have bacon-y dialogue, and what not. The ideal I suppose would be simplicity and no dependency issues, and also without screwing up what's already there too badly.

I DID find a script that sounded similarly to what this was, but after reviewing and testing that one I found it was not exactly what I was looking for.

In the meantime, here are some more examples of situations in which this can be used:

Basil uses a Potion on Aluxes.
Basil: "Never fear! I purchased this with YOUR money!"

The entire hero party is defeated.
Aluxes: "Now we'll never get to see the next plot point."

Preparing actions for the next turn.
Hilda: "Does this staff make my butt look big?"

And so on and so forth. Ideally, it'd be neat if the dialogue could be given variety in the sense that characters could even react to what was occurring in battle.

The party's overall HP is at a low percentage.
Gloria: "Oh, my, we're not very good, now are we?"

Basil is Poisoned.
Basil: "I hafta go barfies again!"

Bumpity bump-bump. Passed the 72-hour mark! Yippee!

Here's the simplistic explanation again:
In battle, when a party member or enemy chooses any action, a brief, non-interruptive text can occaisionally be displayed during the time that action takes place. This gives the opportunity to have the characters speak dialogue for an added aesthetic effect, as well as adding further depth to the characters by giving them more opportunities to speak. Such dialogue can also occur at the end of battle, and during the start of each turn in the Default Battle System.

The dialogue that is displayed should preferably be able to reflect a variety of conditions, namely who is using the command, or is being targeted, what is the overall status of the party, where the player is in the game, and so on. Preferably, it should be possible to have an array of dialogues that can be randomly selected. It would also be preferred if such dialogue did not have to occur on every possible chance for it to.

In all seriousness, I think this is an interesting and intuitive script that could be very fun to implement. Although I have no programming knowledge, I have a theory on the scripting process.

A script is made to display a small one-line window in battle that does NOT interfere with any other window in battle, and that does NOT need to be clicked through. This window should appear at the beginning of an attack/skill, and end when that attack/skill is completed. This window should be allowed to display a line of text.

The text that can be displayed should be defined by the person who is implementing the script in their game, in order to add relevant customization to the messages that are displayed. In effect, I would picture a kind of list similar to the one found in Momo's Bestiary script that contains whatever text the game designer chooses to implement.

This array of possible texts should be sorted by a series of possible in-battle triggers. These triggers include what command is being used, and whether it is the user or the target that gets to speak. They should also identify what actor or enemy is speaking.

Hmm. That's a lot of work, actually.

In order to add opportunities for greater character depth in games, and to make battles interesting, I have suggested this Battle Dialogue script, in which short snippets of dialogue uttered by characters or enemies on random actions, the start of turns, and in event of victory or defeat are displayed on-screen while the action is occurring, WITHOUT interrupting battle. 

I can't script properly for the life of mine too, but I would like to highlight that I adore this idea too.
I was actually thinking of something like this for my game as well.

This idea is kind of like how many recent J-rpgs have party members doing random comments in response to specific actions/situations. They were voiced, but a text version for rmxp would be just as great.

*Although I would have preferred a "speech bubble" to contain the comments, and be designated above the respective character speaking, this is not practical since a 1-line text would be too long to fit into a bubble.
GreenBanana's suggestions are the alternative; by placing the text in a column window box. For aesthetic reasons, maybe aligning that just above the characters' battlers would be better? >_<

Anyway, here's hoping some kind individual will pick this request up.
And when that does happen, I will leech from here... don't mind me, heheheh

Hey, I found something nearly exactly what you want  ;D

Action Message by Trickster

Only bad thing is it requires the SDK  :-\ I needed something like this for a skill too, so I thought I'd share it. I know you don't want it SDK... so perhaps you could ask Trickster for permission to edit it and get rid of the SDK requirement?

Rom tiddle-om diddle-om tittle-pom. 
We march on the Don. 

COOKIE!

Here are more things you can make your characters say in the midst of battle:
"Those are MY pants!"
"Happy Birthday, Grandma!"
"My apologies, I thought thou wast Dale!"
"Alas poor Yorick, the years have not been kind to ye!"
"Fluffernutter!"

And so on, into infinity. 

It does sound like a start.  Interesting.  Though it sounds (so far) like it'd just change the text in the message boxes already there.  I'll have to look at it later (and edit this post maybe, if I remember to). 

Zuh?  Which script?  I liked sandgolem's attack vocabulary system, except that it replaces the window that says the attack.  I was hoping to keep that window, and jusst add a secondary window for the dialogue itself, that way your character doesn't need to be talking about what they're doing what they're doing.  Otherwise all the dialogue would end up sounding like the following: 

[Player makes Aluxes use Pole Dancing Alpha] 
Aluxes:  Pass the orange juice!  I am using "Pole Dancing Alpha"!

Instead you could just do this:
Message Box:  "Pole Dancing Alpha"
Aluxes:  Please pass me the orange juice!!

I suspect maybe if sandgolem was able to figure out how to modify the text in such windows though, a Witty Dialogue Script must not be TOO far off!  I just wish there were more comments in his script to explain how stuff worked clearly.  Of course, then there's the matter of timing. 

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.