Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] [THINKING ABOUT PAY] Stamina Based Battle System

Taylor

Sponsor

Stamina Based Battle System

Introduction

This battle system was inspired by Chrono Trigger, Cross and Phylomortis - Avant Garde 's battle systems. This system is somewhat a combination of the three, with the more harsher elements of Phylomortis' system removed.

A thing I've discovered about many menu based battle systems - that is, ones that are not Action Based by the Zelda or Mana series - is that the characters are always bound to something more than the menus. Real Time or Condition Timers don't really make battles any more realistic, if anything, they make them slower.

The basic idea of the "Stamina Battle System" is that characters can attack whenever they want, but the more they do, the more tired they get. If a character attacks too often, they go into an "exhaustion" state, and collapse. This is similar to being in a Sleep or Knockout state, however it wears off naturally.

Link to full details:
http://jirby.cleverpun.com/bs/

Ask any questions about this or any issues you think may arise.

EDIT FROM RMXPUNIVERSE:
I have just realised that in Chrono Trigger, no matter where you are, a battle will always have the same arrangement. So maybe my idea of battle formations should be scrapped in favour of a version where something like Pathfinding moves members/enemies to position, pans screen then faces them the right way?
Hmm. How did I not figure this out before. oO;

cairn

you are looking for a similar battle system of AP (action points) like in the star ocean series and many other games. You would need to make a setup for every single kind of action/skill, otherwise the most powerful skill of the game would have the same cost to be cast as the worse skill, action point wise.

Taylor

Sponsor

Excuse me? Bumping isn't against the rules if 3-4 day waits are between posts.
If it's not bumped scripters may not see it. How is it wrong to want to have this design created?

Taylor

Sponsor

He runs up. He kicks. He ... bumps?

I like to be creative with these posts. >>;

BTW, I wonder if this is maybe easier in VX? My only concern is already made scripts like Pathfinding and RTAB aren't available (even though certain things unique to this system may be easier) for VX and might only make it harder. (Not to mention I'm still trying to make nice VX maps.) *shrug*

Merf. Maybe I should think of actually offering cash payment. But I dunno if my parents would approve.

It's very unlikely that you'll find someone willing to invest the time required to script a new battle system for free.  However, it might be worth your while to find a battle system similar to the one you want and either modify it yourself or ask around for help in getting it to be the way you want.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.