Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Resolution Script (Windows 7)

I know there was a script released for XP that allowed to change the resolution along with the in game map(maybe just the res).
But the problem is with Windows 7, sure XP works great but I've noticed allot of scripts are not work at all!

What I basically want to do is change the windows size to oh Super Famicom(256X224) or 320X240.
I'm basically creating a Snes Esque A-RPG and I never wanted to up-scale my sprites JUST so they work with XPs default resolution, I can easily just pixel new sprites but I like my own sprite style.

Thanks for the help!

I noticed no problems whatsoever using scripts on either Vista or Win7, but especially for the resolution ones, I can confirm they work perfectly. If you're looking for a smaller resolution than the default, then my Custom Resolution Script for RMXP might be something worth looking into for you (however, please note that I no longer offer support for that).

I can surprisingly hold myself back from ranting about people blaming Windows 7 randomly... (consider this as a rant)

BlueScope, I'm pretty sure part of the problem is that many of the resolution scripts created for XP never took into account the fact that Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 use different windows sizes, and that other, custom-made themes may occasionally use their own window sizes as well. There are a couple floating around that do take care of that, however, which leads to the issues of full-screen changes, F12, and the sprite/tile zoom. The first and third are handled by your script demo, if I remember correctly, but I can't remember if your demo ever managed to catch the automatic resize that happened when F12 was pressed. (Actually, I'm still not sure that's an issue. I can't remember if it happens that way or not, but I can't test at the moment either)

To be honest, I never tested for that... that might be easily resolved by using a "get rid of the F12 key's function" script snippet, such as Zeriabs. As for fullscreen and tile zoom, it is included in my script (and basically it's only purpose, as the fullscreen part's coming from Selwyn ^^" ), however, character sets aren't zoomed (this is because there's no variable tileset sizes, so you have to work with 32x32 tiles, however, you can make charactersets any size you want). As for full-screen issues, I've tested that somewhat occasionally, and while getting a giant black border, it proved perfectly functional on my back-then x86 Windows Vista (I don't think it was all the way back when I was working with XP...).

As for the sizing differences between operating systems... I just yesterday had a problem with these in Gosu... or so I thought ^^" But yeah, that definately is a thing to consider... either way, for this purpose, I don't see how it'd affect the script's functionality, as what's resized is the viewport inside the window, not the window based on the OS' border outline measurements... I might misunderstand you here though?

EDIT: What I thought of when reading through the first post again, now that Glitch mentioned fullscreen... it might be an issue with the screen/drivers, as in you're trying to display an output that's too small or too large for the screen to display.

Well, I thought it was your script that had included an old copy of Seph's tilemap that zoomed both the tiles and the characters. That might have been Selwyn's, though. I'll have to dig out my script, once I get my RAM modules replaced. I know the original, unedited version I occasionally posted would use Seph's tilemap to resize the tiles, and automatically resized everything else. Plus, it supported a flip between double size and normal size, if that was needed. I'd have to incorporate that fullscreen .dll file, however. Either that, or make my own .dll file, or even dabble around with extremely advanced Win32API, which is a horrible option. Anyway, the sizing between different systems is easily handled. It's in the same set of Win32API functions that gives you various other pieces of data about the computer's setup. For the border, you'll want to experiment with a combination of values from GetSystemMetrics. (I forget the exact combination, but I know it involved both the 3D and 2D borders, as well as the captionbar or whatever the title bar was called.)

I tried your screen size editor and it works pretty well.
But I can't seem to get 320X240, 320 is easy but 240s not.
I either get 320X224 or 320X260.

I did have to modify your script because there was a black bar on the bottom.
But I'm very impressed! The reason being is because the map engine isn't coded right or it only the window is coded.

@Glitch: IT does use Seph's tilemap rewrite, however there's no such thing as zoom for anything included, as far as I'm aware of.

@ Ruriki: If you're talking about mine, there shouldn't be any issues like that... the demo I posted should still be up on box.net (as my eMail account keeps telling me it gets downloaded every other day -.- ), so please try that - it features 320x240 screen size by default and has been tested exhaustively, however not on Windows 7, while I still doubt that that is the bottleneck.
As for the numbers, it seems that you're having problems setting the camera to half tiles... (assuming that the second figure you posted is meant to say '320x256'). This doesn't make any sense to me, but like I said - the demo features 320x240 screen size.

If it doesn't work out, then I'm sorry, but you'll either have to look for support in another place or look for a different resolution script.

I think he may have been talking about my script, which will actually reset the numbers to the nearest tile, to avoid scrolling issues. I really didn't want to publish it, but people kept bugging me. I have a slightly newer version, but even that isn't ready yet.

Could it also be that I'm on a 30", 2560X1600 monitor? But other scripts work on screens 24" or smaller.

And yes, I'm using Glitches script. It works perfectly if you ask me.. I can't find a bug at all! Works well with pixel-movement, mode 07 scripts. And most if not any script released.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.