Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] How to make interior cave maps

I have seen too many maps of caves that are just horrible. So I decided to share my method for creating interior cave maps.

First, you need to know the difference between a good cave, and a bad one.
Good
Tut-10.png

this map is the kind I'll be showing you how to make. It looks fairly natural, like a real cave, except with no visible ceiling and viewed from a birds eye view. If you don't like it then I suggest you hit the back button, now.

Bad
Tut-11.png

This is the worst case scenario when it comes to caves. First off, caves do not form in squares, never. Caves are formed from erosion, earthquakes and other things, but no matter what made it, they do not form in squares. and another thing, that grass is also, square that is bad. grass is probably even more random than caves. is should be in strange shapes, not squares.

Step #1
Start from scratch.

Tut-1.png

Create a new map with the desired tileset and size. Fill layer 1 with the main ground tile that you'll be using.

Step #2
Mark your entrance

Tut-2.png

Using a tile like I used, mark the entrance to the cave.

Step #3
Outline your cave
Tut-3.png

This is a big one, using the same tile as you used for your entrance, make a quick outline of your cave as you see fit, remember no squares. Remember to make it look natural, not too many straight edges.

Step #4
Fill in the walls
Tut-4.png

Go over your outline with the wall tiles, using the height you want, and remember to keep the top of the wall over the black tiles.

Step #5
Finish the cave

Tut-5.png

Finish your outline. After the outline is finished fill in the extra area with the blackish tile as shown.

Step #6
Adding cliffs
Tut-6.png

Not only do caves not form square, they also don't form flat. So we need to add areas of different elevation. using a cliff tile, outline the area of your cliff. If the cliff comes out of a wall be sure to go into the wall as shown.

Step #7
Replace cliff tiles
Tut-7.png

Using the same process as before, replace all the cliff tiles as shown.

Step #8
Finish Cliff

Tut-8.png

Add the cliff tiles to specify height, and edit any walls that the cliff touches.

Step #9
Extend wall
Tut-9.png

This one is your choice. If you choose to then extend the walls of the cave onto the top of your cliff, using the same method as before.

Step #10
Finish the cave.
Tut-10.png

Add details to the cliff, rocks, grass, and anything else you want. Just be sure to make it look natural, don't use too many of the same rock or auto tile.

mawk

Sponsor

Another thing you need to consider about mapping is the purpose that a map serves. A cave created to tunnel through a mountain would have fewer side-rooms and twists than, say, a mine, where the miners would had dug in whichever direction they thought would lead to gold. For instance, in your map you have a ladder leading to a completely bare raised patch of ground; why would the people who initially strung ladders around need to access this raised plateau if it didn't lead anywhere and they weren't interested in excavating the area?

There is a balance to consider between extras that make a map look cool and pointless additions that don't make sense if you stop and think about them.

Could you do an Ice cave??

EDIT, I already know how now. A tutorial would be nice on good vs. bad though for all the tilesets.

Mapping tutorials are always handy for reference, thanks a million.
Although I really made my caves like squares, I did circles. I'll try to map more warped designs.  :grin:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.