Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

WoW-like monster exp (not about WoW :P)

I couldnt think of a good topic for this, so hopefully using WoW doesnt discourage scripters that would be able to help out.

Anyways, I was wondering if somebody could provide a script that gives monsters a level, and if the level of the player's character is X levels below the monster's level, then the player receives more exp from killing that monster than if they were the same level. And if the character is a higher level than the monster, they receive less exp when they kill it, and once they get too high, they stop receiving exp from that monster. also, each character in the party at the time of the battle receives their own exp (for example, if there was 2 characters that were higher than the monster's level, and the other 2 were lower, then the first two would receive less than normal and the other 2 would receive more than normal).

If you need more information, I'm sure I could think of more to help explain :)

Northern49;234793 said:
I would also like this script. Not that I'd use it, but we need more WoW-inspired games made. I hate flash games.

it's not technically wow-inspired, it was just the first game i could think of that has this type of script. hopefully someone can help :)

Mars

Actually in Final Fantasy Tactics for Playtation X, (Or PSP Now =/) enemies would level up... Not that this has to do with he topic..

Ooh! And some Private Ragnarok servers have leveling enemies too.

I think what your tryin to ask is this: in each area in the game say like chapter 1 has monster levels ranging from 1 - 30 and chapter 2 30 - 60 or what ever you want the monsters lvls to be in each chapter. and you can go back to each chapter areas and get what you either missed or couldn't get due to lack of skill requirements for say puzzles or quest and you can fight the same monsters as you did when you were in that same chapter.
I hope this clears things up for a scripter on how Swiftdeathsk wants the script to be like.

Chaos_Prime;234910 said:
I think what your tryin to ask is this: in each area in the game say like chapter 1 has monster levels ranging from 1 - 30 and chapter 2 30 - 60 or what ever you want the monsters lvls to be in each chapter. and you can go back to each chapter areas and get what you either missed or couldn't get due to lack of skill requirements for say puzzles or quest and you can fight the same monsters as you did when you were in that same chapter.
I hope this clears things up for a scripter on how Swiftdeathsk wants the script to be like.

no... that's nothing like what im asking for LOL

im wanting it so that once you are so many levels higher than the monster you are fighting, you no longer receive exp from that monster. and if you are so many levels lower than the monster you are fighting, you get extra exp from that monster. it has nothing to do with chapters or going back to previous areas for quests and such lol

He wants a script similar to wow exp one

When you encounter a monster for example your player is level 6 and the monster is level 1 since there's a difference of 5 levels between you and the monster you won't get exp but if the monster is 2,3 or 4 he gets exp but not like if he was the same level of the monster.

And if the monster is level 10 and you are level 6 he will give you more exp although it will be difficult as battle.

If someone is going to try making the script they should make the number of the level coloured like if you are level 6 and the monster is level 1 it would be grey and if he's 2,3 or 4 it would be green.
if the monster is level 6,7,8 it would be yellow
9,10 would be yellow to orange
and if he's level 11,12 it would be red if the level is more big then that it level wouldn't show and instead of his level it would show??.

That's all hope this is a better description

Reaper*;235263 said:
He wants a script similar to wow exp one

When you encounter a monster for example your player is level 6 and the monster is level 1 since there's a difference of 5 levels between you and the monster you won't get exp but if the monster is 2,3 or 4 he gets exp but not like if he was the same level of the monster.

And if the monster is level 10 and you are level 6 he will give you more exp although it will be difficult as battle.

If someone is going to try making the script they should make the number of the level coloured like if you are level 6 and the monster is level 1 it would be grey and if he's 2,3 or 4 it would be green.
if the monster is level 6,7,8 it would be yellow
9,10 would be yellow to orange
and if he's level 11,12 it would be red if the level is more big then that it level wouldn't show and instead of his level it would show??.

That's all hope this is a better description

yup, pretty much. thanks for clearing it up more for those who decide to script this.

Rue;235764 said:
I like the idea but the monster should level up to. I think sepheroth has that script. This is realy helpful if you want to re-explore a low level area.

i was thinking perhaps having it so that you can use a Call Script command or something similar to change the levels of the monsters as the game progresses (for example, if you finish a desert area with monsters that are level 5, then you get to a certain spot in the game, you use a Call Script command that changes those monsters' level to 6 or something.).

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.