Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Wizardy Type Game - Need Help

I'm currently in the process of designing a game with a similar idea to that of the famous game series "Wizardry" where there is a massive dungeon deep under a town and you must recruit a group of hero's to descend its depths.

What I need and what I want to do in order for this to work...

How can I make it possible for my player to be able to choose his/her own party members? For example: I would make several pre-made classes, then at the beginning of the game, you are able to choose 4 of them to use for the game.

For those of you who are familiar with the Wizardry series, if you can submit anything else that you believe would be appropriate for this setting, please feel free to! I am looking for all the help I can get.

Thanks, and your help is very much appreciated.

...you must recruit a group of hero's to descend its depths.

This sounds like you want the recruiting to be part of game play.

If the recruitable PCs are walking around as NPCs, then you can add them to party using the "Change Party Member" event command.

Or, are you asking for a menu of actors to choose from?

Be Well

baniff":28r95hee said:
I know that Trickster made a FFI style party selecter. The link is dead though, so if someone has a demo, would they mind posting it?

That is something that would probably work very well! If I can't figure out how to do this, I can always just have the random NPC's walking around and use the change party member idea.

I'd have to play around with it some... I'll get to it when I do lol, but if you guys have any ideas please let me know.

God Wizardry 4 is still my favorite NES game I spent hours trying to unlock the Ninja job class.

To anyone who may be able to help but don't know the Wizardry character steps:

You CREATE your part (not recruit - although perhaps vVTalonVv is doing something different).

After starting a new game or hitting the option to create a new character and selecting a name and such...
You pick a race (human, dwarf, elf, gnome, halfling) and you pick an alignment (lawful, neutral, unlawful).  Your race altered your stats.  You then had a random set of bonus points to distribute between the varying stats of the character, with a limit - you couldn't go over 18, or some races could go to 19 with some things.
I was told it was very DnD.

Afterwards you had your option of picking a class.  The class was determined by the stats and alignment.  For example a thief could not be lawful, and needed I think an agility of 12.
Some "elite" classes needed requirements you simply could not fill in character creation normally such as the Ninja which needed a 17 in all stats and I believe had to be neutral or some such.

When you met the requirements, being the correct stat score or above and corresponding alignment you could change your class which aged said character by some years.

During game play you could make a lawful character unlawful (by killing friendly monsters) and vise versa which would allow you to eventually get any and all job classes for any single character if you wanted - just not all at once.
That's all I remember, but hopefully that might spark something that helps ya out.

-
However if by Friday you are not helped out enough I will go hunting - I tried making a Wizardry styled game several months ago, and may still be able to find what I would have used.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.