Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

windows 7/vista: mp3/music not playing in rmxp games

Hello there,
Thought I'd post this because I searched the interwebz high and low for this, but couldn't find it. I finally figured it out.
Note: This is if you use ffdshow to decode audio. You will use this if you install k-lite codec pack or something similar.

Problem:
MP3s and/or other audio formats will not play in the RMXP editor and/or the games.

Solution:
Open up your ffdshow/directshow configuration. Find DirectShow control.
There will be a section checked for "do not use ffdshow in..." with a list of programs.
Delete "game.exe," "game.ini," and (if it's there) "rmxp.exe."

I doubt too many people have this problem, but I couldn't find any info about it. So here it is.

*really hopes someone replies to this soon.*

I am confused on something regarding rpg maker XP and the way it plays music. Some of my mp3's work, but not others. Example--It can play an AC/DC song but not mp3's from Scott Pilgrim the Game or from oh say Homestuck's soundtracks. Is there a way to fix this, anyone know what is going on?

IIRC, it's the sample rate (bit rate) of the mp3. I think the player in RM has trouble with anything faster than 128kbps

Check your files by right-clicking --> Properties --> Details, and it should show the bit-rate.

You'll need an audio editing program to "Save As" the file with a slower bit rate.

I tested this and I don't think that is it. It has successfully played a 320 bit song, a 198 song, but the Scott Pilgrim tune cannot play and that one is 210 so I don't know. Also did a 145 bit song just fine and since that is an odd number I don't think it has anything to do with binary or something like that (basically knows very little about programming I do))

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.