Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] Skill obtaining system

J4iru5

VX script?

Does anyone know of, or can make a script for items that give skills to certain characters when used?
E.x. you get the item "Skill book 1" and its like potion but instead of healing the character it's used on, it gives them a skill. And certain items can only be used on certain characters.

If anyone knows of a script or something like this, or is willing to make a script for this, I'd really appreciate it.

Joy

You can still do this in the database, it's just more roundabout.

Make the items you want to teach spells/skills call a common event. In this event make a conditional branch with an else case, with the parameters being Actor learned skill X. If it's true (they already know it) set your stuff to say they already know it, if it's false (in the else case) use the event "Actor:Change Skills" and add the skill.

J4iru5

Joy":o0gid4ex said:
You can still do this in the database, it's just more roundabout.

Make the items you want to teach spells/skills call a common event. In this event make a conditional branch with an else case, with the parameters being Actor learned skill X. If it's true (they already know it) set your stuff to say they already know it, if it's false (in the else case) use the event "Actor:Change Skills" and add the skill.

How do I set my stuff to they already know it?

Joy

The conditional branch is checking if they know it. If they do, the first branch prevents them from learning again, if they don't know it, then the event adds the skill to their list.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.