Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] Menu Sprites

After taking a good look at the faces my partner and I had made for our RPG, I was not satisfied with the way they looked on the menu. With that, I decided I would find a way to make their sprites appear on the menu instead. After loooong hours of playing around with it and many, many errors, I ran across the very simple solution of changing only one line. :dead: Anyway, you can do that by going into Window_MenuStatus, looking at the "refresh" method, and replacing the line

Code:
draw_actor_face(actor, 2, actor.index * 96 + 2, 92)

with

Code:
draw_actor_graphic(actor, 45, actor.index * 96 + 50)

or, you can copy all of this and put it above Main:

Code:
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#MenuSprites script by Gammastar
#This script displays character sprites instead of faces on the menu.
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

class Window_MenuStatus < Window_Selectable  
  def refresh
    self.contents.clear
    @item_max = $game_party.members.size
    for actor in $game_party.members
      #This is where the change is made. It was formerly draw_actor_face.
      draw_actor_graphic(actor, 45, actor.index * 96 + 50)
      x = 104
      y = actor.index * 96 + WLH / 2
      draw_actor_name(actor, x, y)
      draw_actor_class(actor, x + 120, y)
      draw_actor_level(actor, x, y + WLH * 1)
      draw_actor_state(actor, x, y + WLH * 2)
      draw_actor_hp(actor, x + 120, y + WLH * 1)
      draw_actor_mp(actor, x + 120, y + WLH * 2)
    end
  end
end

It's your choice, and I hope you like it.

NOTE: This is, of course, only for use with a normal menu style. You may edit it as needed in order to make it work with a custom menu, but please, at least give me credit for the idea.

Idea? Isn't this just basic scripting know how? Well thanks for posting here I think, although isn't there a snippet thread somewhere for little snippets like these? lol

-Krobe

Namio

does this only work with the first four characters? because all my other characters wont show anything on the menu.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.