Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Variable Operated Clothing [Public Testing]

VOC: Variable Controlled Clothing
I've always hated writing a game in which there's a big range of armours and clothes to choose from, yet your character always wears the same, and never looks any different.

In RMVX there's a way to change your character set, but without going through every possible combination of clothing and recolouring the sprites, it's not possible to easily create a new look when you change armours. So, I had a go. What I've made is an event which changes your hair colour (and eventually style), armour colour (and again type, eventually), shirt colour and padded collar thingy. The items of clothing are controlled by 4 variables, which eventually could lead to a chartacter customization screen or armoury that a character change clothes at or something. It's very simple, change the variable, and the item changes. I've only so far made the clothes for ralph, and they're just re-colours, but due to the nature of the event, I see no reason I couldn't just replace the hair with a helmet, etc.

What I wanted to know is; Is this an efficient way of doing it? Has it already been done? Can you spot any bugs that I haven't?

http://solumstone.com/gamedevelopment/VOC/Screenshot..png[/img]

Download:
RAR: http://solumstone.com/gamedevelopment/V ... 20Line.rar
ZIP: http://solumstone.com/gamedevelopment/V ... 20Line.zip

Many Thanks,

Syrillia

BTW: I've got a free webspace package for anyone who wants it. You get:

"yourdomain.solumstone.com" subdomain.
FTP account.
250mb webspace (Is increased by 250mb everytime you fill it up, until 1.5Gb)
Unlimited bandwidth
E-mail account (you@solumstone.com)
NO ADVERTISING (no banners or nothing)
You can use the space for whatever you want, as long as you keep it sensible (common sense dictates this).

Just PM me if you're interested.

Very interesting indeed... makes me wanna try something like this as well ^^ Nice work here, and good ideas. I figure this could also work as a visual equipment system, but yeah... you'd definately have to script it in RGSS2 (which this forum is for, btw... I was making a fool out of it searching the script editor through, looking for the script XD but I figure you can leave it here) though, for sharing and efficiency reasons.

For the efficiency on your events... I'm afraid I have to tell you you didn't do a good job there. Please see the following as constructive criticism, because that's how it's meant. You have five events on Parallel Process there, which you could as well put into one. If you're going for overview, make one common event on PP that calls all of the other ones, which are set to no trigger. The first common event is pointless altogether, as you're just setting one switch. What you could do instead is making the script negatively bound to that switch, meaning you'd have to rename it to something like 'Custom Character deactivated' (which might not fit in the switch name field, but you get me ^^) and activate that one if you don't want to use custom characters.

What you might wanna improve - if you're going to use RGSS2, that is - is adding a tone to a default sprite instead of having multiple graphics with different colors. That means less resource-making with more customizeability... sounds good, doesn't it? ^^
This might be a good script for your step into the 'real' scripting world, figuring you don't have much experience with it... as you have the basic layout, apparently know how to make conditionals, and have interesting concepts. If you wanna learn more, I figure you might wanna stick around the RGSS Support forums, as you'll get the help you need there.

Keep up the good work.

OK, I see what your saying. I've got a bit of experience programming with PHP and a bit more with HTML. I also used to help a friend who ran a Java programming forum write efficient programs for running the server and clients etc. I didn't do much Java but I picked it up along the way and from what I can see, it's very similar to RMVX's ruby; in the sense that it's objects based.

Also, the 'switchboard' common event, I tend to find myself turning on lots of switches and setting lots of variable with an 'approach event' at the beginning of the game. So I set it up to turn on 1 variable only, and turn the rest on via the switchboard event. To save neatness with that event.

Many thanks,

Syrillia

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.