Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

TP - Alternate Ability Cost

I was wondering if it was possible to add in to XP another variable that functions LIKE SP, however it runs as its own.  No, I don't just want to have SP's name changed to TP, I want to have SP and TP as spell and ability costs.

Ex.

Spell:  Fireball            Costs 25 SP
Tech:  Brave Cut        Costs 15 TP
Tech:  Fire Slash        Costs 10 TP / 20 SP

I want to have some abilities to cost SP like normal, but some to cost only TP, a new value, and also to have a cost of both TP and SP.  Best example I can give of something that is close to this is from StarOcean: Til the End of Time, where some abilities cost either SP or HP.  But I only want costs to b in SP and TP.

I would assume that this new value, TP, would have to have some form of manual level script that can read a file from a .txt document, but I really don't need anything like that.  Since I use a stat lvl system for the main char, the only thing I need really is to have TP set to 0 in the beginning and I can call a script ingame to increase it.  It will however need to be able to lvl up with other actors.  How you can figure that one out I leave to you.

If anyone has anything like this and wishes to share, or just wants to take a shot at this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mods Used that may influence this:
-SDK (of course)
-RTAB
-Animated Battlers
-Seph's Slant Barz

Souloux":3skdc17h said:
Do a search for a skill shop script. You will most likely find what your looking for if you search for that.

Not necessarily. I would suggest looking at the Game_Battler and Game_Character classes to see how they handle stats, then add a custom one, stored either as a variable, array, or hash. Then you could try using a modified skill class where you define how much of SP and how much of a newly created stat, TP, each skill costs. You'd also have to modify the skill display window to show both stats.

Well, I am doing that now, but I always ask first just incase someone has done this already and it is within working order, or incase I get stuck someone knows what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks Seph, was trying to get a look at your skill shop script from the test bed, but was having trouble with downloads.... not sure if it was just the site or my dial-up acting up again.

Skill shop honestly has nothing to do with this, unless I am reading your request wrong. The skill shop lets you learn skills by buying them. You are requesting multiple SP's correct?

I won't finish tonight, but I will hopefully in the next week. Just a lot to do at the moment.

No, I wanted multi skill costs and stuff, but someone suggested I look at that anyway for more info for the "just incase I see something out of it" scenario.

Also, no rush on the script, I have things of my own I need to get done.  Thanks again Seph.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.