Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Tile Based Minimap

Hey peoples, how are your collective days going?
Before continuing reading, let me remind you that this is a request for RMXP, in case you didn't see the topic icon.  I wouldn't wanna waste your time.

What I'm looking to request is a sort of minimap.
I'll try to explain this best I can, and have a bad mock up :straightthumb:

Here's a mock up.
http://www.sixty.rhinocap.net/rm/faris/11.png[/img]
See those red, yellow, black tiles there in the middle left of the screen (ignore everything else - not important).  I am requesting that sort of minimap.

Basically let's say I have a tileset, it's the standard 8 32x32 tiles wide, and is also 10 32x32 tiles tall.
I want to be able to create a minimap_tileset, to match my initial normal tileset, set so that it's divided into tiles, just like the first, only instead of 32x32 they are 11x11.  So it would be 8 11x11 tiles wide, and 10 11x11 tiles tall.  I'm only using one map, if that helps(?)
Umm the height though of the tileset is not yet done, I'm still adding to it.  If it's absolutely needed, for whatever reason, I can get back to you.  I'll just cut off all things that don't have to be part of the tileset.

Each column/row combination of the normal tileset would match the same column/row combination in the tileset_minimap.  So let's say row 5, column 5 was a bush.  I could have a tiny little green thing to represent said bush in the tileset_minimap.  The script would draw this minimap to match the actual map itself, so if the real map had 3 bushes next to each other, the minimap would show these 3 11x11 bush tiles next to each other in the appropriate spots.

Other than the obvious of being turned on/off via call script, I'd like to add a bit of a feature like the original Zelda.  Three separate 11x11 images that are tagged to events 1 and 2 (they will always be events 1-2), and the last to be used as the player position, naturally.  If you look at that mock up there's a white tile, that would be event 1, there's a sort of ring of orange and red tiles by itself, that's event 2, and a blue tile to be the player.  Additionally if possible either with a 4th image, or with an exact minimap_tile, all tiles not yet visited on the current map are represented with 1 image.  So either a 4th black image (one of those black squares see), or if a specific tile in the minimap_tileset like row 1 column 1, that will display on all unvisited tiles (and just make sure never to use it so it doesn't look weird).  Which ever is easier for you guys.
By "unvisited" I mean actually on.  Unless you stood on or passed over that exact tile, it should remain hidden.

Other than that, the placement of the map.  If you look at the above screen I'm using a different resolution/screen size (480x300 if memory serves me correctly), and would like the minimap to show just as it is.  If need be I can set the x/y of the window when adding the script into the script editor, so you don't have to start counting pixels.  Please no windowskin, the blue boxes and white boarders are from a show picture command, and would like to keep the minimap window chromeless or windowskinless - whichever term would be more correct :p

The image itself is showing 10x10 tiles spaced 2 pixels apart.  I'm requesting 11x11, so there's no need to space them out to match the above (if I keep the blocky look I can keep a pixel width transparency).

Either way thanks for reading, I hope I was able to explain that in enough detail without rambling.  Any questions I'd be happy to hear them in hopes of having good enough answers.

Have a good one :)

EDIT:
The minimap window should at maximum be 220x143, and never exceed this size.
Like most minimaps, if the map is larger, it would simply sort of scroll (right word) and cut off whatever is not fitted within that confined space.

Thanks again, and have a good one :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.