Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The State of HBGames (July 2021)

Hi guys,
I'm currently on vacation and while I thought this would give me time to work on HBGames, instead I have found myself with 38kbps internet at best (essentially NO Internet at all).

HBGames Xen has largely been successful but this post is a look at where we are and where we can go in the near future. A few key topics.

1. Activity
I feel like we have successfully revived both the site and the Discord (primarly the Discord). While the site doesn't get as many forum posts as before, what it does get is clear and measurable activity - that is: likes, reactions, views, downloads, etc. The content management system has hugely changed how people view games and has made them much more likely to be downloaded. Our video section while little used is also getting a lot of views.

Where do we go next? Just ride the wave and continue the positive posting.

2. The eZine
We are due a new issue and I do have a few ideas for topics to discuss. I still need ideas and possible contributions, however small, and this can include any advertisements or promotions you'd like to feature in the next issue too. Don't feel bad making it about yourself. I will work on the next issue as soon as I have Internet, so after this vacation.

3. Games Pages
I reckon I am about 2/3 of the way through converting our games threads into game pages in the content management system. That means there are still more to come!

There are then roughly 1,440 games in development that could be moved across although I see little value in that.

What we need is new games and to entice people to bring their games here. Regular upkeep of the eZine and of the featured threads ticker is important for this.

Functionality required: when you post a game page it automatically creates a discussion thread, although the format is ugly. Need a way for the game thread to match the game page.

4. Search and Navigation
We have an advanced search plugin ready to install that I paid for when I bought the Xenforo license. This turns our search bar into a Google-style one with autofil, powered by the hugely functional ElastiSearch.

Functionality required: I need to research and learn how to set up an ElastiSearch server safely and efficiently.

5. Forums
The new forums are great and highly functional, and any teething problems seem to have been weeded out.

Functionality required: I need to learn how to run a mail server safely and securely in order to fix the Lost Password system.

6. Discord
The Discord has been largely a success although we have just had to ban one big name after a lot of grief. That's unfortunate, especially as I set out the rules to be as easy and simple as possible (i.e. Don't be a Dick). I have a feeling this will be a topic of discussion for a while going forward.

7. Main Page

Since 2006 it has been our aspiration to set up a "Main Page", and we've finally done it, although this one is far more integrated into the forums and game pages than we envisaged at the time. It's really just a forumlistings+, with far more than just a list of the forums here.

I am however open to any small tweaks or theming and content suggestions as this is the landing page and the first thing a new user will see.

8. Hosting

As of yet we are still trying to contact Venetia to get the HBGames.org domain sent here. This is a huge problem for us.

At present we have HBGames.org up and running still although this is no longer paid for and will just drop off the net eventually. For now we are at aRPGMaker.com which to be honest is not a huge problem with the current size of our user base.

We are now hosted on my own private server rather than using Brew's. We don't seem anywhere near hitting any of our limits and so far all of the reliability issues that hit HBGames have either been resolved or have not surfaced. Switching forum softwares has decreased our resource usage and we have become far more sustainable.

We do have the option to expand the server in a variety of ways for more capacity though at present this is not necessary and I do not believe it will become necessary in the forseeable future.

Funds wise we are not in any kind of debt. The money I am no longer sending to Brew will pay for the Xenforo license in the long term, though this was out of my own pocket anyway, so there is no risk associated to hosting HB. We just have to keep up the monthly payment which I am more than comfortable for.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

I look forward to seeing where the future leads. I've been here since 2008 and the discord has just helped me enjoy both the forums and the social more than ever.

The Discord has been largely a success although we have just had to ban one big name after a lot of grief. That's unfortunate, especially as I set out the rules to be as easy and simple as possible (i.e. Don't be a Dick). I have a feeling this will be a topic of discussion for a while going forward.
The big name wasn't me, so don't fret my friendos~! I'll be back on the discord in a few days.

I'll have some content for you to put in the Ezine before long, Ellie! Just need to get some stuff prepped!

One thing I forgot to mention is the spam issue we had on HBGames.

The new forum software appears to have dealt with it entirely.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

One thing I forgot to mention is the spam issue we had on HBGames.

The new forum software appears to have dealt with it entirely.
Hell yea! Take that Nike bots and weird clothing adverts! You'd been cruising for a bruising. Now you're confiding in retiring!

The largest upgrades for me on these new forums is not having to make an image small enough to outside the page and have it just extend the canvas. The lack of edit saving was incredibly inconvenient too. Both issues are entirely gone in this new forum.

As a content creator who nearly always has new stuff to share, a large amount of which being pictures, it got frustrating uploading a scaled down version for a single place of upload. Not only is this no longer a requirement, but we enjoy the best kind of image auto-resizing. Not only does it auto scale to fit the page, but when clicked it provides a 'full view' thumbnail, and if clicked again you can see it in original size and scroll around it by left clicking and holding. It's intuitive, easy and provides all the information you could want without bloating the viewport unnecessarily.

There's all sorts of little things like that I always take for granted. Like being able to Ctrl+B to bold something. Thousands of ways Xenforo just does stuff better.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.