Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Fragile Crown

9lGWpdg.png

"Say we don't make it. Say that worse comes to worse.

Will there be anyone left to grieve for us?

Will they tell our story, once we're gone?"

It has been more than a decade since the Home War came to an end; or so say the histories.

The Holy State of Caledor, ever at war, headed an invasion of the Free Provinces with hopes of moving closer to their southern enemies.
Being largely passive in the war that was being fought around them, the first steps in Caledor’s strategic march took the Provinces by surprise.
A counter-attack was led by their armies, but to no avail; against the martial might of Caledor they stood little chance of victory.

Fifteen years have passed since the final provinces fell. Defeat was to be swift and absolute for those that resisted. Call them
brave or call them foolish, it matters not. Against the martial might of Caledor the provinces stood little chance of victory.

As the hell-fires of war continue to rage, the men and women of the Provinces, once humble, once peaceful, are left to scavenge among the remnants
of their homelands. As Caledor turns it's gaze east to a new foe, one which could yet rival it's strength, a pair of unlikely friends set out in search of refuge.

Fleeing Caledor's grasp, they make for the Arbour- the last refuge of the true faith.

The last refuge of the truly free.

uSC3Rpg.png

Images to come...

RAVELLE
19, from Three Forks.
Adventurous and headstrong, Ravelle hopes one day to be the first girl to join with the Reiksgard, the army for Caledor's most elite. Despite her
hatred of Caledor and all the suffering it had brought to her and the ones she loves, a life in the army has much more on offer than her life at home.
Ravelle lost her mother to sickness while she was still young, and her father was conscripted into the army before she could form memories of him.
As a result of her parents' absence, Ravelle was raised on Willas' Farm with her dearest friend Soren.
After the final provinces fell, Ravelle received news that her father would be returning home; though, he did not resemble the man she had always
thought him to be.

SOREN
17, from Three Forks.
A gentle soul. He has a passion for songs, storytelling and the prospect of adventure- if only he didn't have to get his hands dirty.
Youngest son of a local farmer, Soren was born into a position with little expectation. However, his elder brother was swept away
by the tides of war and did not return. Since then, Soren has struggled with the weight which was so suddenly thrust upon his shoulders.
A lifelong friend of Ravelle's, Soren cannot remember a time without her in his life.

ERRAL
31, Knight of the Arbour.
The orphaned son of a sheep farmer, Erral joined the Arbour at 16, after the Home War ravaged his home town. He excelled at combat,
and propelled through the ranks of the Arbour, gaining the position of General by the time he turned 25.

BREMMER
30, Knight of the Arbour. NPC.
He is Erral's companion and truest friend at the Arbour. Broad shouldered and round of waist, Bremmer is a strong fighter. He is skilled
with his sword, and fast. But the speed he makes up for in fighting, he lacks in wits, and more often than not Bremmer can’t be counted
on for his thoughts.

mEFXCCn.png

The Fragile Crown is a historical/fantasy role-playing game which encourages the player to immerse themselves within the game through the use of music, graphics and depth of narrative. While including some traditional features often attributed to an RPG, such as crafting, questing and fighting enemies, The Fragile Crown’s primary focus is to draw the player into a deep, enriching storyline by developing complex bonds between characters and their environment.

Many of the features currently implemented in the game are not final. For example, the following images do not necessarily depict how the game will eventually end up. All elements of the game are subject to change, these are just to show what it may contain, and for temporary testing purposes.

Menu System
2LvKa58.png

Licence Grid
lviUCVE.png

ZeXDRPE.png

THE RIVERLANDS
UE51kCs.png

BJsHJcX.png

oxSAybC.png
THREE FORKS
h7URnbW.png

3QTBAdS.png
THE ARBOUR (Warning! Large Image)
PHyZdgK.png
CAIR AVENDEL (Warning! Large Image)
hX1pHox.png

SpSLivK.png

SCRIPTS:
CTB v3.1 - Charlie Lee
Anti Event Lag Script - Near Fantastica
Universal Message System - Ccoa
Leon's Mission Script v2.0 - Leon
Compact Menu Script v1.2 - The Sleeping Leonhart
Shop Script - Firewords
Animated Battlers - DerVVulfman
Medina Stories License Board v2.0 - Juan Jose Sanches Ramirez
Additional scripting help from Ryuni

GRAPHIC RESOURCES:
Benben
Kiyoto Kaduki
Sithjester
Iceaxe
Ragnarok Online

All other creative and musical elements of the game are done solely by me, Cammyr.

If I have miscredited anyone, or have forgotten to give credit where it is due, please message me. Apologies in advance!

Also, I am currently looking for others to join my team! Specifically, I am looking to hire:
A lead Scripter
A lead Artist
Secondary Scripter
Seconday Artist

If anyone is interested in joining me on this project, send me a PM and I will happily talk business with you!

I love how this looks, considering it's based on the RTP. Cair Avendel is a really well designed little high street. Good luck with this.

I love that font and colour palette for the maps.

Are you planning to go with custom music too? I look at those screenshots and that font and imagine music in the style of Sword of Mana.

Thank you guys! Hopefully soon I can get a playable demo, or at least a video of gameplay up so that I can show you more of the world.
Some of the maps are huge (I got carried away during the mapping stages), so little screenshots like these barely do the game justice.

As for the custom music: Yes, it will have an original soundtrack. I'm currently sitting on two demos for a theme, and a few scrap ideas
for BGM for the Riverlands. I've never heard of Sword of Mana, so I couldn't compare the music to that. But I have been heavily influenced
by Gustavo Santaoalla's soundtrack for the Last of Us. I guess that would paint a better picture of what to expect from the music side of things.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I mapped the Arbour in one sitting, without necessarily thinking of how the shadows would fall.
I'll make sure to fill under the bridge with more shadow so that it looks more realistic. Also, I've noticed how the shadow from
the left building falls on the little tree. I'll fix that and any others I find while I'm at it, too. Thanks!

Thanks :) I'm not the greatest artist, but somehow my maps end up looking pretty. Hopefully going to upload a demo video sometime in the next month. Depends how successful I am at doing the soundtrack.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.