Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Tandem Attacking

Howdy! Kicks here...
I am using RTAB and Animated Battlers with a bunch of modifications.
One such modification is a system in my game where you can have one team member "Boost" in and attack with another team member already attacking. This works fine and looks awesome. However if I want my third team member to Boost in with the second attacker, it will either entirely not work, or they wait until the first two are done attacking, then they jump in and hit the enemy.

I need to know what makes it possible for two characters to attack in tandem. I've been searching for this for a LOOOONG time, but I'm really stuck this time.

I think it has to do with HOW exactly I'm calling these attack sequences.
Mainly they are activated through common events or battle events. The skills executed via the command window seem to be flexible while skills executed via common events or battle events are rigid and inflexible--they must be completed before anything else happens.
This leads me to believe that the flexible actions are being handled by RTAB while the inflexible ones are being handled by the regular RMXP RGSS.

In the end I need to be able to have at least 3 (preferably more) battlers executing skill actions at a given time as well as having my "Boost" and other "Auto-Attack" abilities work properly (activate when they are called via user input).

If you would like to help, please follow these instructions...

In my signature there is a link labeled 'DEMO' click on it and download the demo.
Unzip it to a folder on your computer.
Open up the game.
Choose 'Continue' and choose the first save file.
Walk over to the right and talk to the man in the coat to initiate the battle.
Attack for 10 turns to fill up the Boost meter...
Use LEFT and RIGHT to change targets, use UP and DOWN to change skills.
Press X to execute a the chosen skill
After a bunch of attacks and the meter on the bottom right has a green number next to it, initiate another attack. Make sure it is a skill that has the character run up to the enemy. I suggest "Heavy Leg" for Tea, "Mugen" for Pine, and "Renzoukuken" for Lynn.
As this character is rushing the enemy and/or attacking, press A, B, or C to have another character use up the green number and attack. A, B and C correspond to the character's position in the party...
A for top character--in this case Tea
B for middle character--in this case Pine
C for bottom character--in this case Lynn
When executing a Boost, DO NOT choose the same character that is attacking. It will work... but they obviously cannot attack in tandem with themselves.

If you have RMXP, you can open up the database and change the AGI of a character to around 500~900. This will allow you to take action more quickly. I suggest you only pick one character and make it either Pine or Tea. When using them stick to Heavy Leg and Mugen. You may also go to TROOPS in the database, go to the first Battle Event and EDIT the BOOST COUNTER variable field to SET to 9 instead of 0. Do not make this higher than 9 as the GUI doesn't support it and it will crash.

Inputs correspond to the RGSS notation... you may have to change or check your controls via F1 during gameplay.

If you have any ideas... Please help!!
I can repay with scripts and graphics/sprites (painted or pixel).
Thanks,
-K

EDIT
I've pinpointed why they just wont work outright, but haven't solved it. I still need 3 or more attacking in tandem or just info as to why even two can attack at once would suffice.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.