Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

State resistance based on number of turns or effect magnitud

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling

In the default RMVXA and RMMV(I don't know if it's the same for the others as well), the state resistance's in the form of decreasing the chance to inflict a state, but without any other change if the state's still inflicted.
I personally feel that it can be excessively and unnecessarily random, especially for states lasting for several turns and with serious effects.
Therefore, my very naive idea is that, instead setting the state resistance as decreasing the chance to inflict a state, the former should be set as decreasing the number of turns of the inflict state, thus eliminating the randomness completely.

Let's say a state reducing a battler's atk by 50% for 3 turns, which is of course a very serious deal.
But there are some battlers having certain resistance on that state, some may reduce the number of turns to 2, and some may even reduce the number of turns to 1, thus removing the situation of a gamble between having no effect and reducing atk by 50% for 3 turns.

Similarly, state resistance can also be implemented as reducing the state effect magnitude, and in the above case, like reducing it to 25% from 50%.

So what do you think about state resistance? Do you prefer randomness or determinism in this case?

I think it depends on how much oversight a player is granted. It would be very confusing if a status that's suppose to last for 3 turns, then doesn't. There would need to be a message stating The enemy overcame and recovered from a status early.
And then there's the semantics about calling that "resistance". It's more like "immunity".

I believe in FFXI, "immunity" was a Warrior class ability. And job classes are a consistent system so even monsters have classes. The understanding was, that you'd recognize the class of the thing you were fighting, and you wouldn't cast poison on a warrior class because they'd just shrug it off.

But that was an MMO. In a single player game, battle strategies involving status effects are usually few and limit. Mages won't worry about atk-down. Warriors won't worry about "mute". So if your party is full and varied it's very rare they'll be hit with something debilitating. Unless it's like a Shin Megami Tensi or Pokemon game, where everyone's skills and abilities are a mixed bag. But in those cases, it's all about party-building and trial and error.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.