Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Star Ocean [BS]

Break

For my Rpg, i want to combine a the Star Ocean battle system, with elements from other games. i will list the feature by games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Star Ocean
The battle system isnt turn based, its more action based. when the battle starts, your in a closed arena, and you select an attack. The second you select it, your character runs up to the enemie and does the attack. when you do a ranged attack, or a spell, your character stands still, but will do the spell/ranged attack in real time. well your doing this, the rest of your party (controlled by AI) and the Enemies are all attacking in real time.

I want that type of gameplay, with a few tweaks.

Mobility
Since the only moving your character does is to run up to the enemie and attack, i want it to be that you can freely move around, then press a key to open the battle menu and choose an attack and then a target. for the first few steps, you walk, then you run. How fast before you start to run depends on agility. Also, some variables must be included.

walking - 25% less chance to get hit by ranged. 25% better block rate
Running - 50% less chance to get hit by ranged. -25% block rate

Final Fantasy 2

The element from this game that i want, is the stat system. instead of gaining levels like in traditional rpgs, i want it so its like "the more you do it, the better you are at it. For example, the more you melee an enemie, the more your strength stat goes up. The more you cast spells, the more your intelligence and Sp goes up.

List of stats and what increases them

Max Hp [goes up by] taking damage
Max SP [goes up by] using skills
Strength [goes up by] causing melee damage
Dexterity [goes up by] hitting an enemie
Agility [goes up by] Running around in battle
Intelligence [goes up by] Casting Spells & getting hit by spells

Also a weapon mastery skill. The more you use a sword, the better you are with using it. so the more you use a sword, the more damage you do with it.

Chrono Trigger
The one element i want from on the of the greatest rpgs of all time is the way that the field turns into the battle arena so perfectly. Since im using the same sprites for being on the field, and being in battle, this is a nice effect. How it works is, if you were walking in the forest, you get into a random battle, and a arena is placed around you, so you cant leave until its over. the forest looks exactly the same. after its done, you continue going. Some along the lines of http://www.rmxp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5618, also, using near fantasticas squad based system, where your characters are on the map means there starting position for the battle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a better description, just ask. I think the star ocean Battle System is very underatted, and i would love to use it in my rpg. Thanks in advance!

Atoa

Man you don't think you're asking too much?

An Star Ocen Battle itself is hard (there's one on development on the creation asylum, i don't know if the author still working on it)

Now, an Star Ocean Battle, that occurs on field, with the features of FF2???

I hope you don't expect people to make this for free, because this is really an huge work.

Anyway, good luck.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.