Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Star Ocean 3 Dictionary-like System

Hi there,

I've gone over the rules and as far as I can tell, I'm in the clear for making a new topic about this, since the previous topics regarding a Star Ocean style Dictionary are well past 3 months old.

*ahem*

As you might have guessed, I was wondering if there were any scripts for RMXP available that emulated (or were in the same style as) the Dictionary that is found in the PS2 game Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (or Star Ocean 3). The dictionary gives the player additional information regarding characters, plot points, and other back-story information as it becomes available, and it is divided up into various general categories (People, Places, Things, Etc.,) with information that is added as the game progresses. Entries that have not been read yet are displayed in a darker blue color then those that have been (A lighter blue color), and information that is added over time is usually either by encountering a person, reading about a topic/subject (Which may or may not be indicated as important by being a different text color then normal), battle encounters, and visiting certain locations.

Now, while the style of Star Ocean 3 for this (More accurately called) encyclopedia is what I'm after, there are a few minor things I'd like to adjust if possible (If not, no big deal, but I thought I should mention):
I want to include a reward to the player for obtaining various percentages of dictionary completion (Which I'm not entirely certain of what those might be, I'm thinking something like, 25, 50, 75, 100% of all entries collected, all entries of a particular broad topic, such as "People" or something else); as well as giving incentive for the player to explore surroundings by hiding certain topic entries inside objects like Books or what-have-you (As an example: Let's say the player goes to a Library and reads a book called "The History of Planet X"; the adjoining topic entry would be about 'Planet X' or whatever the 'Book' item is about).

One other thing: I'd ideally like to have the Encyclopedia/Dictionary as a Top-Menu choice, but if that is too much trouble, then a "Dictionary" Key Item would be fine too. I've only barely begun to look at Scripts
and while I'm sure making a new menu option wouldn't be too hard, I know its beyond my abilities.

Additionally, I have read that SephirothSpawn created such an entry, but the last topics regarding this were made almost a year ago, at here:
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=8819.0
and here:
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=8630

I hope I have been clear on this request: A script close to the Dictionary system found in SO3. It doesn't have to be exactly like it, just something in the general design :)

I'm using RMXP and haven't used any other scripts yet, so 'compatibility' shouldn't be an issue with any SDks or whatever else there might be.

Question is how user friendly do you want it....

I can make it so you turn on a switch it would simply make text appear :thumb: but you would have to do a lot of scripting yourself in order to set it up.  :dead: Unless you told me ALL the text you want in there you would have to do quite a bit yourself. So unless you want this then I can't help you. If you do I can show you how to script and then make  you a script.  :thumb:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.