Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Sphere Grid type system using AP to buy skills/stats

Okay, I'm finally admitting defeat. If you have played my game (link's in the sig) you know about my event-based skill learning system. In my personal opinion, it's a pretty cool thing. But it has become a HUGE burden, and is way, WAY too complex, and it just takes way too long to do just a few ability tiles. I have given up basically, and am going to look for a new way of doing this.

Here is how my system works in-game:
-AP is gained from monsters (usually 1 from each monster, more from bosses)
-In each character's skill menu is a skill called "Skill Tree"
-When you pick Skill Tree it takes you to a map, and the player sprite is changed to a cursor sprite
-Each character has their own individual "board" or whatever you want to call it
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[I will use Ariana as an example from this point on]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Ariana has acquired a cumulative total of 15 AP
-Once you use Skill Tree from her skill menu, this is what you see (this is her default):
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/ ... llTree.png[/IMG]

-Pushing left will teleport the cursor to the bubbly thing on the left of her character sprite (her sprite is actually the exit, you push confirm on her to exit back to the map), so you can't freely move around the map, it is just like choosing things on a menu
-Since she starts with two skills (Poison Cloud and Basic Antidote), those tiles are already lit up on the skill tree
-The diamond squares are skills that you cannot learn yet
-There are stat boosts as well as skills
-If you go to the right of the starting point and push confirm, it will give a brief description of the skill you are learning, how much AP it will cost (that skill inflicts poison on all enemies, not just one, and takes 10 AP as opposed to 5 AP), and show the options of learning the skill, or canceling
-If you learn that skill, the two skills diagonal from it will be revealed (but will be transparent), and can now be learned by spending the respective AP
==========================================================

The event coding for all this is just...it's just awful. I know that there is a lot of unnecessary stuff in the coding that I can clean up, but there's just so much already done, and so much still left to do. Also, it's not as "copy and paste"-friendly as you'd think...I DO copy and paste, but you still have to change literally like all but 1 little line of code. I worked for about a half hour on like 5 tiles the other night...it's just really hindering progress in my game.

Here's what my ideal system would be like:
-moving around on the tiles could be either teleport-based, or free movement (like on Final Fantasy 12's License Boards)
-The name of the skill, a description of the skill, and how much AP it costs would be shown just by being on top of it (this would be a separate entity from the message system so that I could have stuff come up when you push confirm)
-Right now when you push confirm on an available skill, the ones that will be revealed flash on and off. It would be SO nice to have lines that could connect the ones that would be affected by learning skills. The unlearned ones that would be revealed could still flash, that would be nice
-There's more but I'm tired

It would be wonderful if I could use a script and just put comments in events or something.

So could someone like help me out here, and kind of tell me what I could realistically expect? Plsthx.

Haha, I understand being addicted to a game (I'm still addicted to Kingdom Hearts 2 even though it came out a year and a half ago :P), so take your time.

Yeah, I saw your Sphere Grid system a while back. I never tried it, but I knew it wasn't what I needed because my system uses AP instead of spheres.

Basically it's the Sphere Grid from FFX, mixed with the License Board from FFXII, that I'm looking for. Just let me know, or post here or whatever, when you get around to it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.