Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

=SORRY, DIDNT MEAN TO DOUBLE POST! PLEASE DELETE

Intro: This is my first tutorial and hopefully it is good and useful. First off, I would like to point out that I am using the RTP only, no custom tilesets, no tileset combinations, et al. Also for this tutorial I am using a 20x20 map. I would also like to state that I am not a master at mapping, so there might be a mistake or two. I like to think of myself as a decent mapper though. This tutorial is meant to be a basic mapping tutorial for beginners.

starto.png
The first thing you do in any map, at least for me, is fill the the map with the type of tile you want as your main one. For this map, I filled it up with the plain tile. For a desert you would fill it with the sand tile and so on.

91537689.png
The next thing you do is you add some detail to the main tile grass by using an autotile. For example, I used the Shadow01 grass to add highlight and depth to the grass.[/

90533383.png
The next thing you do is add tall grass. I found the easiest way to do this is to first get the basic shape of your grass by using the middle tile of the tall grass.

97840176.png
Then you add the edges around the grass. Sometimes it takes some rearranging of the grass in order to get it right, so plan ahead!

21203077.png
One of the most important details to plain maps are its weeds. The best way to utilize these weeds is by placing them in groups like so.

58296318.png
Now we start adding bigger details such as stumps, bushes, flowers, et al. There are of course a few rules in adding these bigger features:

Rule 1 Make sure to use each detail sparingly. Try to create balance between each detail.

Rule 2 Make sure to spread out each detail. Try to have the same detail farther away from one of the same kind.

Rule 3 Go on what you see. If it doesn't look good where you have it, then don't put it there.

As you can see, I tried to create balance and not have the same details close to eachother. Now of course there is a mistake here and there, but that will be fixed later.

67942560.png
Now we start adding trees. You must be careful about how much trees you put in, and where you put them. Try to keep them farther apart. Remember these are plains, not a forest. Putting to many trees will result in your map looking crowded.

64176595.png
Now it is time for the finishing touches. Remember those 3 rules and listed above. You should know what looks good and what doesn't. This is the time to fix those mistakes maybe made earlier during your detailing.

Not its time to add fog effects and sceentone. For this tutorial, I will be creating a somewhat cloudy map.
19873002.png
These are the settings for the fog in the map. Some things to notice are:

-the opacity is set to 80. The reason is because I don't want the shadows too dark.

-the blending is sub

-the Sx is 3. The reason is because the clouds aren't moving very fast. I want that rolling cloud effect, since this is a generally sunny map.
62558443.png
This is the final result of the fog.

Now of course with clouds there is also less sunlight hitting your map. This is where screentone comes in.
83491782.png
69725096.png
The screen tone was not changed much. All I did was make the map a little darker, since there are clouds.

One thing that makes a map memorable and set the mood and tone is the music. Different music affects how one perceives different maps. Now while I strongly dislike the use of the RTP music, I will be using to set an example of different songs. (ewwww)

41336280.png
This is the first RTP song. The mood that this song creates, in my opinion, is a beginner map or a starting map. This song may create a sense of a first time out. I would use this song if this was the new, unexplored area I was going to.

63125787.png
This song may create a more dramatic tone. To me it sounds like,"I need to go to the Dragons cave to save the princess, but first I must cross these epic plains."

72425842.png
This song may create a more carfree tone. It creates Serenity. I would use this tune for a place I wasn't required to go.

~END

^_^

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.