Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Sneaking around Guards

After looking around for sometime, I haven't found anything quite like this. What I am looking for is a script that has it so if you are in an event's line of sight, it will detect you, and toss you back to another map. Now, that part can easily be done with a few events, but I'd like the events, guards in this case, to be able to move around.

The best example I can think of for this would be in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time when you have to sneak past the guards who are patrolling a garden.

You need the View Range script by Near Fantastica. its in the SDK test bed. However, I'm having trouble setting it up myself, I can only make it so the guard sees in 360 degrees rather than his line of sight. There is an older version non sdk that I do know how to operate and that works great, its just if you use the SDK then you're in my position!

Thanks for the link! From the demo, this is exactly what I needed, although I am having some difficulty figuring out how to work this myself. I can't figure out how to set up a guard in my game or how to adjust what it is they say when you're caught.

I copied the script over to my game, and then copied one of the events, but the event doesn't seem to notice the player at all.

Thank you for all your help, but there is one more thing that troubles me. The detection range is always a radius. Is there a way to make it only line of sight? So it only detects the player when the guard is facing the direction the player is in?

Well thats the trouble I'm having with the SDK version, but instead of a radius, its the full circumference. When I used the view range I found the rabge was from 90 degress both sides of the guard, making a 180 degrees view in total.

I too have been trying to find that out in RGSS support but to no avail.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.