Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Simple Picture Menus

Yo. :shades:

So this is for a commerical RMVX (not XP) project.

What I Want:

I can't imagine that this will be particularly difficult for an experienced scripter, or even someone who's looking to build up some experience as a scripter. :thumb:

• I'm looking for two menu skeletons that I can call from an event (by pasting something into the script snippet event command, I'd suppose).
  • Both menus would have the same functionality: Each element of the menus would call a different common event (the ID of which I would specify).
  • Instead of using text, each menu option would be represented by a picture that I can specify (.png files I'd put in the "system" folder).
  • Each menu option would be unlockable—I imagine that each option would be associated with a switch (the ID of which I can specify). Each option wouldn't appear unless its associated switch is turned on.
  • I would like to be able to use each menu multiple times. In other words, if I were to copy and paste it, but change the elements (the images, the common events called, etc)—I'd be able to use each menu skeleton for multiple menus.

I think that's it. Any questions please ask. :girl:

Note: We're using CaptainJet's Mouse Script for RMVX, which works just fine with normal menus. I don't think there would be any compatibility issues if you go ahead and make this like any normal arrow-controlled menu.

Layout Mockups:

4 Icon:
menu1.png

7 Icon:
menu2.png

Payment and Usage:

Obviously, you'll get proper credit in the game. And if you want, you'd get you a free copy of the game when its released—that just seems natural.

On top of that: I'm willing to pay with money (via Amazon Pay; Paypal is untrustworthy). But you'd have to be willing to wait until the game turns its first profit. We're aiming to release the game around Christmastime, so barring any delays in development, you'd see some green in the beginning of the next year (all development expenses owed would come from the the first payments from the game—you'd be getting paid before I would). The amount depends on how much we sell—the better we do, the more I'd be able to throw your way. At the very least you'll make an easy $20 minimum.

If the project is cancelled or abandoned (which I don't see happening after all the time I've already been putting into its graphics), I'd give you a $20 from my own pocket as a thanks for your time.

Alternatively, if you don't want to wait, or have a project of your own: I wouldn't mind doing some pixel work in return (If you're not familiar with my stuff, just PM me for examples; I can do pretty much anything with pixels, animations, etc. I can also do titlescreens and other photoshop stuff, and I'm decent enough at drawing/painting). I could do like a full sprite or some icons or something. I'm up for anything as long as it's comparable in time and effort to what you put into the script. If you wanna go this route, then we can work out the details.

I'm not asking for exclusive rights to this. I don't care if this is released or if other people use it. I don't expect (or desire) any credit for being a requester.

:cheers:

Well, I can do it, just some questions:
So the menu has the map scene in the back?
You want for the submenus to be the same?
You want that for each option the menu closes and calls a common event, or you want it for the common event to be called during the menu processing?

I'll start on it. Payment not needed, but I would like to have a free copy of it.

Oh sweet thanks bro.

So the menu has the map scene in the back?

Yeah, not a full-screen menu at all. I'm using it as something that would pop-up on a regular basis as a game mechanic.

You want for the submenus to be the same?

By submenus you're referring to how I wanted to be able to use the menus multiple times? Yeah, basically it would be swell to be able to have multiple copies of the same script (but with different pictures for the options and such), just if I were to call it with a different line so I could use it in different situations.

If that's not what you meant by the submenus I'm not sure.

You want that for each option the menu closes and calls a common event, or you want it for the common event to be called during the menu processing?

Yeah the menu would close. Like essentially it would work like this:

Player talks to an event (which has a line of code that calls the menu) and so the menu pops up. Then the player chooses an option from the menu, and depending on which option he chooses a different common event would be called.

I'm going to be using it for unique items that can be used on the map and stuff like that, in an adventure game kind of way. I hope that makes sense.

Payment not needed, but I would like to have a free copy of it.

Oh yeah definitely. I'm of the mindset that if someone makes something they should be able to use it however they want, regardless of how it was requested.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.