Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Simple Isometric Character Movement

Simple Isometric Movement
Hello everyone and thanks for taking a look at my request!
I looking for just a 4-way isometric script or *really hopes for* an 8-way isometric script.
I'm making this request because the script I'm in need of is a bit different than most isometric scripts available. All of the isometric scripts I've come across seem to edit the way the map works. I don't need anything like that. I'm looking for something that changes the way the player moves his character on screen only. The many 8 way character movement scripts work great but the characters only move diagonally up-right, up-left, down-right, and down-left but not up, down, left, and right. I would like a script that will work for isometric movement and adds the normal up, down, left, and right. It would be swell if it works with a caterpillar script as well. Here's a picture of what I'm getting at. Hope it helps... :S.
Diagonalmovement.png

The lines in red are the normal diagonal lines scripts tend to follow. The black lines are the 8-way movement I would like. So the diagonal side with the red X through it is what I'm trying to get away from, while the Isometric side is what I'm aiming for. Let's say I push down-right on my game pad, I need the character to move 32 pixels to the right and 16 down.
The Closest script to what I'm looking for would be GubiD's isometric script for rmvx/rmxp but with 8-way movement, no height stuff to worry about, and no jump ability. So I guess an edit of his script would be perfect? I'm not sure how to go about that myself. If this can't be done in rmvx then rmxp would work just as well :)
Options I would like for this script would be...
*Able to use Larger Character sets.
*More frames for walking animations. 8 frames per direction.
*Script to work with events also?
Scripts that I'm already using:
*Tileset Reader VX by DerVVulfman:
re-introduces terrain tags and four-directional passage flags
back into RPGMaker VX system.
Samples of my work
PortSearis_3.jpg

Searis_S.jpg

As you can see, I can't make the my project work without isometric movement. With diagonal movement the players would run into buildings and any objects around. It doesn't play well as diagonal movement feels very unnatural.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.