Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Simple Graphic-based HUD, Got images, need script (updated)

Illitum

Sponsor

Thanks to Brewmeister for helping me detail my request a little better

I would like someone to script a simple image-based H.U.D for my game, the requirements are as follows:

The HUD would show the players HP as a bar of triangles that are white when filled and red when empty. The player has 5HP or hits before she dies (though there is a 0HP image also so the player can survive on 0HP but will die next hit.

The HUD would also show a hexagon next to the players HP bar that denotes "Cover", cover means by how much is the player obscured from view. The variable is set by terrain tag and is updated every step. In complete cover, both halves of the hexagon are black, in mid-cover only one side is black and the other white, and in complete view both are white (images below).

The current players sprite would sit on the line between the two halves and lined up with the bottom of the hexagon just as some eye candy, it needs to be dynamic as the player's costume changes twice in the game (for a total of three different sheets).
  • 1. HUD is for a single player, there will never be any more than one person in the party.
  • 2. HUD shows 3 pieces of information:
    A) HP (from 5hp down to 0. The player only has 5hp)
    B) Game variable 001 (if 0 show image1, if 1 show image2, if 2 show image3)
  • 3. HUD shows current player sprite in the middle of the variable image.
  • 4. HUD shows on map, battle is not a requirement as the game doesn't have seperate battle scene.
  • 5. HUD can be called or hidden on script call.
    B) if possible, when called or hidden, HUD fades in / out of opacity in 20 frames.
  • 6. HUD auto updates straight away to HP / Variable changes.
    B) if possible, flash HP bar RED when negitive HP change, WHITE on positive change.
  • 7. HUD HP graphic uses my 6 HP bar graphics (5-0) aligned to the top left of the screen. (they are 640 by 480 and will be alighed if set to screen 0,0)
    HP at 5
    HP5.png

HP at 4
    HP4.png

HP at 3
    HP3.png

HP at 2
    HP2.png

HP at 1
    HP1.png

HP at 0
    HP0.png
  • 8. HUD shows these three images depending on the game variable number. These images are also 640 by 480 and align with the others when set to screen 0,0.
    In full cover (variable 2)
    Cover100.png

In half cover (variable 1)
    Cover50.png

Not in cover (variable 0)
    Cover0.png

Do you have multiple characters? (i.e. need multiple HUDs)
Where on the screen does the hud show up? (or does it need to be dynamic?)
Are you configuring your character to only have 5 MaxHP?, or does "HP at 4" mean (60% < HP <= 80%)?
I assume you want the HUD displayed both on the map, and in battle?

What other custom scripts are you using?

Illitum

Sponsor

Sorry, I thought I was pretty precise, thank you for correcting me:

1. No, a single character. (so only 1 hud)
2. Each image is a 640 x 480 image so it will display it correctly if the image is at 0,0. (if not, in the top left corner)
3. The character will only have 5 hp, 5 hits to kill her.
4. There is only map, no battle scene, so only on the map.
5. A custom dash script but that shouldn't effect anything... if it does, it is here: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=72593&start=0

Thank you for your time.

A bit of graphic advice on your gfx: Your health graphics look inverted, as the ones with the red outline you meant to be passive are the dominant ones - they're much more apparent than the others. As for your shield graphic, you might want to make it outer/inner circle, instead of left/right half circle, as this doesn't really seem realistic and is harder to understand.
Other than that, your shadow will likely clash with other graphic elements in your battle scene.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.