Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Simopia: Why Monkey = Everything

Deep space, aboard a large enterprising vessel known as the "Gorilla", year 2067. Several light years from Earth.
A large yawn moans from the maw of a passenger, rising from his seat to stretch his legs and broadcast his dissension with arm-spread glee. The other passengers barely pay the patron an eye, they all know his suffering. Nearly 12 years have elapsed and at last, the dream for civilization seemed lost-- they had departed from Humanity's Hope and ambition was their leading force. Sensing the restlessness of the crew, their inspiring leader, still in his dark hooded trenchcoat adorned with the symbols of the Collective, stood up to speak to his people.

"Jake, please remain seated-- it will all be over soon."

The passengers look uneasily at the unusually short captain, finally one is brave enough to ask what they are all demanding to know: "What are you playing at?"

The captain looks a little shy, and turns to hide his expression under the fabric of his hood while bringing his hand up to silence his mouth, pondering on how to respond. He knew that giving them the answer he had would not only ease them, but give them newfound hope, but at the same time, enthusiasm had become rare, and over-ventilating discovery could be more harmful than saying nothing. They had all waited so long on the promise, and the ambitious venture had started strong-- several of Earth's and Hope's elite had been more than eager to discard all they had behind to follow the new promise of the Crazy Chimp Collective's Enterprise-- for as reputation would have it, they weren't no pushovers, and their leader was a promising little upstart, a half-breed converging on some missing middle-ground between monkey and human.

"We approach soon, our benefactor. Forgive me for my sparing of details, and for all past ambiguity-- your anticipation shall at last be rewarded." The crowds composure heightens with energy as the half-pint commander motions his left hand towards the window, and before long the coruscant light of a paradise planet looms into view. The passengers all look at it eagerly, and mumbles begin spilling out throughout the crowd. Jake-- the yawning muse, now looking at Bizarre Monkey, eagerly demanding permission. "It is time-- MEMBER XI, play a song to immortalize this moment in history." Jake jumps out of his seat, exposing his shirt's emblematic duo-quaver. he rushes over to the acoustic piano, and at long last begins playing the song of serenity. As the rhythm gets more intense, energy coalesces about the room, setting a stage of wonderment as the Bizarre monkey continues his speech.

"We have come far, and have long awaited our eternal reward. I speak to you now, not as a captain, an aspiration or a leader, but as an equal. While I may be the notorious half-breed who had the ambition and charisma to get us here, it is made manifest by a desire equal-- utopia. This world is no longer mine, and none of you are any longer under my command. For you see this journey that I've created and helped shape, will end tonight, and beyond its closure new ventures will emerge that different people will shape, and this world belongs to them."

The crowd chants in celebration, the evening is filled with magic, the captain slinks off to the shadows, allowing himself to rest at last. From behind him he feels a familiar presence.

"Now the burden is no longer on your shoulders."

The captain turns to see Member II. To most she was known as the Radiant Seraph, to him she was Xiie, the captain nods slowly, but lets a hint of trepidation show. They'd known each other for over 20 years, it was immediate that RS picked up on the captain's lament.

"It's always scary-- settling into a new planet. But the way we do things this time should work out well."

There was no denying it, she was very probably right, in fact landing on the planet wasn't even a goal. The only resource that was planned for harvest was the breathable Oxygen, human technology had advanced significantly, they would create a harmless city in the skies above the planet, which would gradually expand as their utopia became larger. Music would be the momentum that kept them afloat. The Gorilla's exodus had ended, and civilization would begin as promised years before. He had no intent of repeating past mistakes, they were aliens to this planet, and they were going to act the part.
Little did any of the Collective know of the species inhabitants below, they had no plans of mingling with whatever lifeforms the planet boasted, that always ended disastrously. Regardless of this strict vow, curiosity was always fate's nudge into recession. And for one dabbling is such lonely ambition, the half-breed was the most aware of that. He resigned all he held, and while all his previous followers held respect for him and looked up to him as a miracle, he felt that the praise only made him feel more alien. He was not entirely human, having similar features, but a lot was off. He had a very primitive looking face, monkey-esque to grant him his title, and his eyes were large circles of empty wonder, rather than being slanted like most humans. While he had found 15 others like him, he knew there had to be more alike him, and in the planet below he knew they dwell. His real home was below his feet-- it drove him crazy knowing that his people could be unionized, but that it might ruin everything. No one knew, but the burden was still on his shoulders. All of his agents began to pick up on his aloofness though. Walking out of a cafe one day, he was approached by her again, she had a look of authority in her eyes, and the captain knew-- he wasn't getting out of this one, she was gonna know. She knew that she was his weakness.

"Xiie, you look like you're ready to beat me up! Did I do something wrong??"
She chuckled with amusement "Hahaha! Not yet-- but you might, come with me, mister!"
"But I-- Damn it..." There was no way he could say no, she'd get it out of him one way or another, that's sorta what he liked about her-- insistent, optimistic and brave enough to confront him where no one else would. As they walked into some sort of warehouse, she turned around, and smirked like she did whenever she was doing something underhanded. In a mere gasp all the exits had slammed shut and the only light was an irritating fluorescent fixture on the ceiling.

"Something's been bothering you, hasn't it?" She asks, sincerely engaged yet still giddy with her shrewd ploy of underhanded sabotage. "I know curiosity burdens you, and I want you to be freed from your burdens, why won't you just let yourself be happy?"

"I may endanger all we've worked for, I wouldn't wan--"

"HUSH! God Biz you are so selfless it's nauseating sometimes! Be a little fucking selfish just once!"

"Wha? But! I have to be resp--"

"Hah! Yeah right you do! You aren't even commander anymore, you're just a civilian. Your only responsibility is yourself and yet here you still fight it for the sake of others."

"Well, okay yeah but why do you care so much?"

"BECAUSE! BIZ..." dramatic pause is given-- "I'm curious about what you could be curious about, we've seen so many things yet still you are somehow burdened, you've got secrets mister, and you're going to be telling me!"

"Ugh! Alright alright! The real reason I chose this paradise planet wasn't for the estate..." Xiie goes to speak, but then returns to her anticipation and beckons for more words. "Our race, our home is below us... The reason I've been burdened is because I want to see them, but I know that I can't, not if the past is anything to go by."

Xiie's eyes light up like headlights, "WOW THAT'S SORT OF A BIG DEAL", her face contorts into a bizarre mask of anger and anticipation... "YOU KEPT THAT TO YOURSELF YOU GREEDY BITCH?? WHAT IF ANY OF US WANTED TO MEET OUR KIN!?"

"See? I can so be selfish!" This response unsurprisingly leads to the simian half-breed getting slapped across the face by a half-enraged, half-delighted shrew. "NOT FUNNY!", she begins to calm down, and sits back in one of the lounges littered thoughout the place.

"So, whatcha gonna do? Are you gonna live out your remaining years an unfulfilled person, or are you gonna stop being such a schmuck and embrace your people already??" Bizarre Monkey faces Xiie with an exasperated look on his face "Was that even a question?", Xiie responds with a snappy "Nope!" and smiles cheerfully at the wayward captain. Showing one of her more primal canines just "to be cute".

"I suppose you're right. if I got us all the way here, may as well make the most of it." He begins walking towards the door which opens as he approaches, he looks back at Xiie and states the only two words he felt were needed "Thank you." Xiie turns her head and tilts one eyes down slightly as if to say you're welcome. She knew this was what he needed, despite whatever consequences may follow, Xiie had no tolerance for brooding or depression, it was likely more for her sense of security than Biz's feelings that she did what she did.
There'd be no time for preparation, the Simian peoples would have to meet face to face. As the Bizarre Monkey planned to descend to the lush jungle below, he met with his 15 other selves, unplanned.
Xzygon: "We know everything, so let's go together."
Jake: "Don't forget, it's dangerous to go alone, take us!"
Pactim: "That was horrible..."
Bizarre Monkey looks them over, and says "Lol, alright. Let's do this."
R.G: "We're doing it man..."
Peejay: "We're making this happen!"

The 16 descend onto Simopia, it's a rather elegant land, green as the most verdant forest, but with amber hues and glows given off by its several different inhabitants, torchbugs especially noticable for the bright yellow-range luminescence, beyond a small venture lies a city of some description, one of his sixteen -Basil- puts his arm around the commander in a jolly buddy-like fashion, "You said it yourself, boss! This is a new world that different people will shape, and it belongs to them!", Bizarre Monkey chuckles and shows some optimism at last.

In the distance, an observer post-presence spots the encroaching homecomers, the gates to Haven open. As the dust clears, the 16 are greeted by a humble friendly voice, years of wisdom burden the hunched whiskered man. "You have traveled far, only to return home to us, Bizjala. I am Ommurook, and we have all foreseen your return.

Bizarre Monkey looks a little shy. "I'm... not sure I understand."

"Many questions, and much time, let us speak while you look around your ancestral home." The 16 and Ommurook begin walking around, taking in all the wonders of their lineage. "Long ago, millions of years in fact, two large tribes of our people ruled over this planet, we the Havenians, who desired peace and tranquility, and you, the Bizjala, who were ambitious and brash-- needless to say, on some things our two tribes did not see eye to eye. It wouldn't be long before you decided the world you had was too small, and your ancestors departed on an ambitious Exodus, some would become space pirates of Tekerlek, some would occupy other planets of interest, and some would go to Earth. Over years, evolution would change some of you-- to stand fully upright, and to become more angular in form, they would become humans-- however, it seems others were more stubborn, and the 16 of you are testament to that fact."

Xzygon: "Wow, okay that makes a lot more sense than us becoming some sort of mammal from a fish. So cool, humans basically exist because we did some mad space exploration and become hella rooted in planetary ancestory."
Ommurook continues "That is certainly one way to put it, in truth all forms of life start out similar to simians, the primordial template for all warmblooded lifeforms is that of a monkey."

Biz gets an air of uncertainty to him, Ommurook seems to understand... "Yes, I know you have come seeking a union, and I'm sure you're concerned about the cost. Especially now that I've vaguely alluded to a disposition between our tribes, but--"

Ommurook gets a warm gleam of hope in his eye "You're here now, I cannot say what will happen beyond this point, but, far as I see it-- we are family. What happened between the Havenians and the Bizjala happened several millions of years ago, I'd hate to think anyone could hold a grudge for that long."

Xiie: "Ooh! Did you ever go to war?"

Ommurook chuckles heartily "Hohoho, gosh no! What sort of primitive mongoloidian purpose would that have served? The Bizjala simply bid us farewell and left, they were inventive beyond comprehension, the city you've constructed above shows that capability well. We had no need to fight over land or resources by the time it could come to that."
Bizarre Monkey looks relieved. "I accept your generosity, Ommurook. I'm overjoyed to know that not only am I home, but I've technically also been at home all along!"

I wrote this a while ago for a contest (which I placed Second in) and ultimately it became a canonical thing. It explains so much, like how some planets remote to Earth also have humans, why Nadine has races like Dwarves and Elves whom are evolved or devolved humans. Monkeys aren't just cool, they are literally the primordial seed of the universe. or Dimension XII, anyway.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.