Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Security script: encryptions

I am after a script to check if the game is currently encrypted through the RMXP method.

I'll be hiding it inside a larger script, in case you're wondering "couldn't someone just delete the script", and I'll work out some way of disguising it, changing the variable names and calling it some random name like "Time System" or something.

It is basically just to stop at least some of the people who unencrypt games so that they can change variables, their stats, etc, to cheat.

Thanks,
~Wyatt.

Just to clarify, something like this:

if game = $encrypted
do_something
else
do_something_else
end

Well, there's an easy way to do this : the FileTest module can't access to the rgssad, but the load_data method can. You could try :
Code:
if FileTest.exist?("./Data/Items.rxdata")
p 'baaaad'
else
p 'gooood'
end
It should probably work quite well.

Still, as people decrypting your game have access to the files themselves, it won't be more than "mildly annoying", I guess.
As for the cheating thing, no need to decrypt the archive anyway, given that the savegame is in a quite easy to load (and well documented) format.

Cool, I didn't realise it was that simple :)

Oh and yeah they'll have access to the files, nothing I can do about that other than encrypting it even more with some other encrypting tool etc. And about the cheating, by that I mean they could open the game in RMXP and change the stats through the database, or change monster stats, and then play the game - but this way it will stop them playing if the game isn't encrypted.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.