Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RPG Maker MV announced

Source: http://gematsu.com/2015/08/rpg-maker-mv ... ced-pc-mac

All they're showing is this low-res preview from Weekly Famitsu.
RPG-Maker-MV-Announced.jpg

• Multi-device support.
  • Side-view battles added.
  • Support for both touch controls and mouse controls.
  • Big increase on the limit of database items. limit raised from 999 to 2000
  • Maps are automatically three-layered.
  • Games run in high resolution. raised from 544x416 to 816x624

in development. Expected Winter Release for Japan.

For all we know the screens could be mock ups. But I'd like to point how the music notes appear under the side-view battlers. This could imply new options in the animations tab.

Honestly, all the current side-view animation scripts are a pain in the ass to customize. Having a proper animation editor that works with sideview battlers would be a dream come true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1tZfcKArcY

At 0:52 shows a Plug-in system window that has a lot of on/off options. Not sure how that'll work.
Edit: Rpgmakerweb is saying no more Ruby. Javascript plug-ins. :dead: That might be a deal breaker for me.

The sound effects and tiles appear to be rehashed VX sets. :poop:
Despite the new tile size, autotiles are formatted the same way. Still only animating at 3 frames :poop: :poop:
They never showed what the in-game menu looks like, but I imagine it'll be unchanged.

I think moving to Javascript was a good idea; it makes it a more serious engine for people to consider with mobile game development.

I wouldn't be surprised if this means no more native dynamic libraries.

Also; OpenGL! I wonder how flexible it will be in the graphics department.

Removing Ruby only hurts existing scripters, by moving to Javascript the engine is now a viable choice for all those who know JS and I'm willing to bet that more people know JS than Ruby.

The fact that my boss would be able to make scripts for this engine makes me think JS was a good switch. As much as I love and will miss Ruby I will admit that the barrier of entry was raised with the usage of Ruby. Ruby is a language for programmers; it isn't a sensible language or a newbie friendly language at all.

I am disappointed with the 48px tiles, I'd rather it stay to powers of 2 (pretty sure NPOT is a perf hit with GL on mobile devices).

no i totally agree, thats why i didn't expect them to keep it as the scripting language.
ruby is an interesting choice to begin with considering python's popularity, but then again, it may not have been as popular as it is now back when rmxp came out.

ruby hurts me erryday - so nice to write in but so useless when it comes to deployment :|

I did understand Ruby until I took a JavaScript course in college that explained methods and whatnot. But I haven't done anything with JavaScript outside of assignments.

ZenVirZan":466vagbt said:
ruby is an interesting choice to begin with considering python's popularity, but then again, it may not have been as popular as it is now back when rmxp came out.
I think Ruby was used simply because it is a Japanese programming language.

Wait, wait... 48x48? Has that ever been a standard, ever? I imagine it's to make it easier for touch devices, but stand by for way more blocky tiled maps.

Princess Amy":d2lvhx7f said:
Wait, wait... 48x48? Has that ever been a standard, ever? I imagine it's to make it easier for touch devices, but stand by for way more blocky tiled maps.
It's been an icon standard for MDPI devices (smart phones at 160dpi are MDPI, most computer monitors are around 100dpi).

So I guess 48px is the bare-minimum size for smartphones.

I'd rather it was unlocked. The fact that it is NPOT is the most annoying thing.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.