Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[RMXP] Sideview Battle System Edit (Ar Tonelico)

Ar Tonelico Battle System

What I'd like is a battle system similar to Ar Tonelico (shown here) The battle starts at 2:00.
[Any Sideview Battle System script is fine, whatever makes your scripting easier]
[I realize this is a very complicated script, but the least I can do is request it and see what comes up]

The Basics (What is needed)

Reyvateil (RT) : Essentially the mage of the party, only one is allowed per battle (in this case, at least). The RT's battle commands are "Cast Song Magic", "Release Song Magic" (If casting) and "Escape". Other than this the RT does not fight. RT's are the only characters with MP which depletes steadily as they cast magic. When the RT is not singing their MP increases (usually quickly) or items can be used to a smaller effect. The RT cannot be attacked directly unless the attack targets all members or all vanguard members are unconscious. RT commands are accessed through a button.

Song Magic : At the beginning of the battle, the user picks a song for the RT to sing. A bar is shown with a steadily increasing percentage representing how long the song is being cast and how powerful the song magic is. Each song has 4 levels, which are gained after a certain percentage. These may add new effects or change the looks of the spell. There are two types of song magic, Red and Blue. Red magic is attack magic and is cast when the RT releases it or runs out of MP. Blue magic heals a certain amount each turn and is destroyed when the RT runs out of MP. I assume there would be some formula to calculate damage according to percentage, feel free to set the max Percentage yourself and calculate accordingly. The Ar Tonelico percentages go up very high.Song magic attacks all enemies and heals all allies

Attacking: The three other party members have no MP. As they attack the enemy they gain points that can be used in order to use skills. The vanguard can attack, defend, use skills, and use items.

Song Depletion : After a song is used it cannot be used again until it is replenished. Ar Tonelico does this after battle, but for the sake of simplicity, a fair amount of energy can be replenished each turn (no less than 3 no more than 5? Depending on the song's power). The basic song (A simple attack song) can be used indefinitely.

The Extras (What is not necessary, but would be nice to have)

Enemy formations: Enemies have RTs as well, which cannot be attacked through normal means. Unless the front enemy is destroyed, the enemy's RT is shielded. Song Magic can be used to attack all enemies. These RTs can only basic, level 1 magic that needs to be charged 1 turn before use. Healing is used on one enemy and is instant.

Harmo-boost: When the RT and the Vanguard are synchronizing (both have done a fair amount of damage) a Harmonization Boost goes into effect and the song magic is powered up. THIS IS NOT NECESSARY AT ALL

Turn Viewer: Similar to FFXs, but smaller and simple.

HP Bars: Simple colored HP bars over the party and enemies.

Enemy Shielding: Attacking the same enemy in succession will do more damage. Some enemies can only be destroyed when their shield is depleted fully. This goes in levels from 0 (default) - 3 (max). Example: Attack twice in a row will place the enemies shield at lv. 2, if the enemy gets a turn it goes back to lv. 1.

RT Targeting: Some enemies can target your RT. When this is done, the enemy will attack on the next turn. The vanguard can use a special guard command to take damage for the attack. Depending on the number of red rings around the RT, the number of vanguard members needed to guard the attack increases.

Counter: When 3 vanguard members block one of the attacks mentioned above, they can all counter simultaneously for extra damage.

*[I'd prefer it if the song magic window was simpler than the one in the video, simply being a scrollable list of magic that is able to cast and grayed out if the song is currently depleted.]*

If extra explanations are needed, feel free to PM me. I'll be checking this for replies for the next few days.

Other Scripts I am using (in order):
None of these are final, the battle system is more important to me.
Battle Report: http://www.creationasylum.net/index.php?showtopic=9945
Large Party: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27865&hilit=large+party
Party Changer: viewtopic.php?f=156&t=23508&hilit=Party+Changer
Battle Cry: http://www.creationasylum.net/index.php?showtopic=12857

Thank you in advance (for your replies)

Atoa

Well is the "RT" vital for the system?
because my ACBS have an good CTB (FFX like turn) and alows lots of custmization so you can create an HUD like the one from the game.

Except by the RT, that would need really more work, the other systems can be acheived with minor edits.

Yes, Atoa. I have seen the Atoa Custom Battle System already. It was something I have considerred using for my game (Of course, with permission) but I was looking for something MUCH more like Ar Tonelico. Part of me thinks it would be either impossible or really difficult to achieve such with RPG Maker XP. The RT thing, I don't care much for. The Action wheel was one thing I would've liked. The way the camera moves is what has me stumped, I'm unsure if THAT would be possible... I hope it is of course. Naturally, I'd try to emulate this on my own but... I'm not very good when it comes to scripting. What you said about customizing the hud, that isn't much of a problem for me... Assuming your Battle System doesn't have much of a complex hud like Ar Tonelico, that would be a bit difficult because it leads me to believe I have to go looking into the script (Which I'm not against all too much), I just happen to be a little lazy and hesitant when it comes to scripts.

Of course, I'll download your Battle System now and see if I can handle it.

Well, for the game I plan on making, the RT is actually vital. They were the whole basis of the Ar Tonelico series, so they'd be pretty imperative. Camera movement isn't something I find particularly important for this battle system though. While impressive, it isn't a necessary effect.

That is true... It isn't necesarry, but it is still something I would've liked to have had to go along with it instead of just a normal stationary camera for the battle screen. It's not important though.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.