Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[RMVX] Areas - Rectangle>Individual Tiles

I just spent quite a bit of time creating about five areas for a small forest on my world map.  I had to do this because the area creation only allows rectangles.  This is extremely frustrating since forests obviously aren't naturally rectangular.  Is there a way to make the area work on individual tiles (you can select the tiles, allowing for any shape) and not just a rectangle?  This would really be appreciated, but I'm not even sure if it's possible.  Can anyone help?

I don't know for certain that it's impossible, but I must say that I have my doubts.
The reasoning is this:  Even if a script modified the way that the Areas were handled, the editor would still only ever be able to define them as rectangles.  Somebody out there who's better than I may find a way, but I feel that this is going to stack up a lot like the attempts to change the number of tilesets:  even if scripters succeed, you still can't use them in the editor itself without hacking the thing, an endeavor this community doesn't support.

(Of course, it may be possible to build the script in such a way that naming conventions for the area rectangle tell it only to add its encounter list if you're standing on one specific tile, such as an Area box that would only have an effect if the party were standing on the second tile of the third row in the tileset (the default forest), which would be effective if it could be done, but I wouldn't even know where to start.)

Yeah, I was thinking about it and it doesn't really seem possible to me.  Oh well, I'll have to deal with the rectangles.  If anyone thinks they can do it, it'd be appreciated, but I won't bother bumping this anymore.

Kraft

Sponsor

just use a whole bunch of the rectangles... ^_^

There is a little plus/minus thing next to it, and if you press it you dont see them in the map tree ^_^

And copying and pasting them, and then changing the area of the tile would be the easiest way to go...

Although I do agree... it is stupid that you can only use rectangles ^_^

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.