Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RGSS2 Enhancer 1.73.0

Finally a changes to the default scripts that makes RPG Maker VX a lot more usable.

Even though it is still in prototype stages, it seems to perform pretty well for one.
current features:
* all system graphics are now independent of Graphics\System, and have their own folders
* you can now change any system graphic on the fly.
* you can now set a tileset for each map (<tilesetname>[A..E][1..5].png, please excuse the regexp.)
* you can now specify a battle back (in parallaxes folder)
*transition effects betwen almost every screen, future version may allow you to specifiy foe each one individually
* Aleworks Options imported and updated with some new enhanced features
* Aleworks Keys Module imported
* Aleworks Input Module and Aleworks Library imported
* Imported RGSS1 $game_system sound functions with misc. enhancements.
* added the ability to change the hue of message windows on the fly so that Aleworks Options will work properly.
* Trebor777's Joypad module (requested), only I added my usual  enhancements.

plans for future release:
* make transitions more solid
* add more settings groups for even more transitions
* add more features from previous versions of rpg maker
* update battle system to allow multiple views, the different ones in all the series (selectable in defaults module possibly.)

Example:
Download latest version here

Older versions:
Download old 1.72.0 version
Download old 1.65.0 version
Download older 1.72.1 version

* all system graphics are now independent of Graphics\System, and have their own folders
* you can now change any system graphic on the fly.
* you can now set a tileset for each map (<tilesetname>[A..E][1..5].png, please excuse the regexp.)
* you can now specify a battle back (in parallaxes folder)
Personally, I would consider using RGSS2 with RMXP instead of including all these features.
I've already coded all these things you have here but it's really not practical to have this in VX since this program isn't meant to work with these features.

VX can handle a lot of things. It's just that, for example, it's extremely tedious to work with multiple tilesets. Maybe it's just me. :smile:
But you did well with that. Keep up the good work :thumb:

Dargor":2zluyvqv said:
VX can handle a lot of things. It's just that, for example, it's extremely tedious to work with multiple tilesets. Maybe it's just me. :smile:
But you did well with that. Keep up the good work :thumb:

I think it's just you. ;) Personally, I think being able to organize 10 distinct tilesets of your choice per map or series of maps (as is the case with KGC's tileset extender script that lets you inherit), is a lot cooler/better than having to deal with only one single tileset for a map as in RMXP. And the only inconvenience unique to VX would lay in renaming/deleting the default Tilesets in your system folder whenever you start working on a new map/series of maps.

You can use a script event to change the tileset anytime you want.  I set my script edit up that way for the very reason you specified:  Sometimes a map needs to use more than one tileset.  the only problem with vx tilesets, is availability of them.

Since only the original tileset (renamed to Default), the the RMXP one are the only choices right now, I had to otherwise use those in the demo.  To add a tileset, simply edit the Defaults module's tilesets_default hash to add a default tileset for a map, make sure that an entry 0 still exists, that is the master default that is used when you go to a map that is not in the hash array.  Otherwise, you can have an event change the tileset to any tileset you want at any time you want, my demo demonstrates that, and how to do it.

Tileset filenames are based off of the old Graphics\System\Tileset* names.

I did that to make building tilesets much easier, since Enterbrain already explained the Tileset* files.
the fimenames areas follows:
<name of tileset>A1.png
<name of tileset>A2.png
<name of tileset>A3.png
<name of tileset>A4.png
<name of tileset>A5.png
<name of tileset>B.png
<name of tileset>C.png
<name of tileset>D.png
<name of tileset>E.png

and as for the complaint that it is much harder to work with multiple tilesets in vx, I have plans to write a visual basic tool that copies your tileset into the System directory so that the vx editor can see the tileset you are using, All you have to do, is tell the program what you called the tileset, then reload the map in vx.

you would then see the updated tileset as it would appear in the game.

The tool I speak of is also a good way to check to see if two different tilesets are compatible with tileset swap type events.

To change a tileset on the fly, just simply use a Defaults.tileset_name = "<name of tileset>" event, and to reset the tileset back to the map default, just simply use a Defaults.tileset_reset event.

that same trick works with just about any system graphic, example:

Defaults.windowskin_name = "Foo" #change to Foo windowskin
Defaults.windoskin_reset              #reset to default windowskin

Also you can change any of the defaults, even the tileset master default (tilesets_default[0]), so no reason to complain.
Oh, and one more thing, always reset the current tileset back to tileset defaults before entering another map, otherwise you will have the tileset you specified, even on the next map.

The only problem I am having right now, is figuring out how to transition from a map to a black screen, transitioning FROM black screen to map isn't that hard though.

anyone able to rewrite the Graphics.transition() method?

even writing a Graphics.transitionout() method would be fine.

The current problem is that transitions do not seem to work unless the screen is darkened.

what sort of error?

and second: I put an * next to all the scripts I either added or edited.
and next, I put in the antilag module just because of the slowdown.

make sure that you use all the code, not just part of it.  It is meant to replace the main scripts completewly, not just add to them.

thanx for bug testing my script prototype, anyone that finds a bug, please report it immediately, and I will work on a fix, or will reply to let you know that I know about that bug and am working on it.  Please be specific about any errors you get or any unurual activities, they are barely alphas you are using.

if you want you can even pm me about it, and I will probably provide you with the fixed version early if you are the one that submitted the bug report to me.

version 1.72.1 is a bug fix release.

bugs fixed:
B0000 - map change crashes engine.  The culpret was a simple typo (missing '@')
B0001 - map change causes music to stop completely (did not find it originally due to B0000).  The culpret was that the engine was checking for 'bgm' instead of 'autoplay_bgm' and 'bgs' instead of 'autoplay_bgs'.

misc. fixes:
M0000 - transition speeds are changed.  Please let me know if the transitions are too fast or too slow so that I can adjust the timing further.

please make sure the images are in their proper folders for one.

next, I have no idea why the windowskin went undefined on you, which version of rpg maker vx are you using?

and are you trying to use other scripts with it?

also, make sure that ALL the scripts with an * by them are installed in your project.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.