Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Requesting edit of the standard battle system [the way skills are handled]

Long time since my last request. And since my game has been cancelled and I am actually planning a new one, I thought I might want an own battle system.

I am working with RMXP
The thing I had in mind is an edit of the standard frontview battle system. Especially the way skills are handled is my main request.
The skill option (will be renamed in the actual game) should not bring up a list of the learned skills, but start a common event.
Each actor should have his own common event.
Since the rest will be handled through the common events, this is actually my whole request. Since I just started out, it does not have to be compatible with any other script.

Hope this is detailed enough and someone is willing to help me.

~Dalton~

I'm not sure if this will affect the battle system in a bad way (though I don't think it should) but here's a way to do it
In the Scene_Battle 3 script find
Code:
when 1  # skill
        # Play decision SE
        $game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
        # Set action
        @active_battler.current_action.kind = 1
        # Start skill selection
        start_skill_select
and replace it with
*coughs* forgot that each actor has his/her own common event. Lemme just figure this out for ya
Code:
when 1  # skill
       @common_event_id = @active_battler.id
       update_phase4_step6
EDIT: updated with a proper fix
Note that the common event number has to correspond with the actors number in the database. i.e. Aluxes is normally number one, so his common event should be number one. This was the easiest way to do it

Ah, thank you!  :grin: I didn't think that someone would answer that fast after my bump.

It works great. One problem though: When the common event is through it doesn't change to the next actor. (I guess this my fault for not saying this) So it would be stuck on battler one for ever. Do you know any way around it?

Thank you for your work, Beran. I hope you can still help me  :grin:

hmmm....lemme think here
OK, found a way to do it.
just change my bit of code to
Code:
when 1
  @common_event_id = @active_battler.id
  update_phase4_step6
  phase3_next_actor
EDIT: I found a smoother way of doing things
instead of what I suggested, leave my code as was and, in each of your common events, all the way at the end add a script call saying
Code:
$scene.phase3_next_actor
This does assume you don't change scenes during battle (i.e. your common events don't take you to a menu that's not called in Scene_Battle, or the map)

Thank you so much. Finally I have my system standing And it works quite nice I must say.

You will be fully credited whenever I decide to put my game up here. And of course, if I can help you any way I will be glad to do so.

No problem. and, unless you know how the engine's Audio module works I don't think I really need any help XD (trying to create a loop/playthrough function for my iPod script)

Haha, no I am not to helpfull when it comes to scripting. (Basic windows are no problem, but anything beyond that...)
I am more of a plot developing and critizising nature. And some casic sprite editing is also where I could lend a hand. That is pretty much all I can give.
So I hope credit will be enough than.
This is quite resolved now.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.