Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[Request] VX Provoke Scripting Assistance Request

VX Provoke Scripting Assistance Request

Script Title:
VX Provoke Script
RMXP or RMVX:
RMVX
Description:

Define:
Provoked Target => The target with the provoked state who's actions are affected by the skill.
Provoker => The battler casting the provoke skill and who the "provoked target's" actions will be directed towards.

I am looking to create a provoke skill similar to that found in Final Fantasy titles, namely FFXI (the online title). The skill would need to be able to lure an enemy into attacking the caster of the provoke skill for a set amount of turns. To start the conversation out, I think it would be helpful to first define how the skill should work.

I think this could be done in the same way that the script already handles berserk and confusion actions (so the battler that is provoked would get the state "provoked"). In the Game_BattleAction script, its already defined that if:

if battler.confusion? (for example)
targets.push(friends_unit.random_target).

I'm thinking something similar could be done with a provoked script. The problem I'm running into is how to define the target I want the provoked battler to attack. So if I said,

if battler.provoked?
What could I put here to push the provoked target's actions towards the provoker?

(Note: I've changed the default script in my game so that confusion still allows enemies to use skills/magic, but the targets are flipped-flopped so skills intended for friends go to opponents and vise-versa, etc. The provoke script would also need to allow the target to use either attack, skill and items. However, all actions taken on opponents would need to be directed towards the provoker.)

One idea that I had (though I don't know how to implement it) is to create another target array that the caster will join whenever he uses the skill provoke. However, as said above I don't know how to implement this, and I'm wondering if you can have the caster as part of both the opponents_unit and another unit created specifically for the provoke caster.

Any thoughts and ideas on this would be appreciated, and I'm willing to write the script myself if I can get a little help figuring out the dynamics of it.

Other Scripts I am using (in order):
Although I would like a general script that would work with the default scripts, here is a list of the custom scripts I'm using in the game I'm currently developing.

Dargor's Multiple Parties
Dargor's Custom Commands
Dargor's Subset Script
Dargor's Limit Script
Dargor's Large Party
Dargor's Bestiary
Dargor's Map Name Pop-Up
Woratana's Map Credit Script
Enu's SBS v3.3, originally translated by Kylock, continued by Mr. Bubble
Kylock/Mr. Bubbles Bow Addon
Kylock/Bubble Default Scope Options Addon
Fomar0153 Blue Magic Script
Bubbles Skill Demo Set 1 and 2 (along with my own)
Bubble's Harp Add
Kylocks Gun Add
Bubble's States Examples
Synthesize Battleback Script
Necro_100000's Scene_Gameover

Wow... long list. Anyways thanks again for any help available!

-Vilagost

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.