Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Request: Sierra Styled Interface

Script Request Template
This is a request for a new script, an edit or debug of an existing script.

Script Title: Sierra Interface Script

RMXP:

Detailed Description:
This script will change the existing menu system alltogether.
To select "Inventory", "Magic", "System"or "Character" Press "X" (or cancel button) and a small window will pop up at the top on the screen (see Figure 1)

System
When System is "confirmed" another pop up window opens and the small window at the top closes. The System menu offers game play basis, such as: "Save", "Restore", "Quit", "Play" or "Restart" (see Figure 2)

Inventory
When Inventory is "Confirmed" another pop up window opens and the small window at the top closes. The Inventory window allows few functions ( because the game is a single player game, large equiptment screens and multi equipment options are not nessesary). The inventory will show all the items you have including wepons and armour. To equip an item simply move the seletor over the image and press "confirm"; a list of options will will arrise:
If wepon, armour, or accesory: (See Figure 3)

Equip (when already equipped an "E" will be displayed")
Examine (This will describe the item you are carrying; "This is a flat-handled dagger .... Blah")

-If you try to equip another item while still equiped with another you will automatically unequip the existing; and equip the item desired.

If Item and Consumable Item:
Use (This will consume 1 of the Item eg. Potion), If not a consumable item "Use" will not be displayed"
Examine (This will describe the item you are carrying; "This healing potion helps relieve some of the everyday aches and pains from adventuring .... Blah")

The "Tick" Icon (or whatever icon Is decided) will exit the Inventory. Use the selector box to move to it's position and press "Confirm".

Character
When Character is "Confirmed" another pop up window opens and the small window at the top closes.
The window will display 4 Icons: "Walk", "Run", "Status" and "Exit" (aka Tick Icon(or whatever Is decided))
(See Figure 4)

Walk: This will make the character walk at a speed of 3, and change the charset to a "Walking" Charset (possible to change speed in script)
Run: This will make the character run at a speed of 4, and change the charset to a "Running" Charset (possible to change speed in script).

- Once Run has been selected the Window closes and a message will appear; "Don't push yourself too hard!" (something like this).
- Once Walk has been selected the Window closes and a message will appear; "Taken' it easy, eh?" (something like this).
This is just to confirm that the player has selected something.

- It will be important to be able to control (run or walk) in an event, For example If the player needs to climb a rope;
Set move route: Player
Change Speed : 2
Change Graphic: Player_Climbing
Move: Up
Move: Up
Change Speed : 3
Change Graphic: Player_Walking
Turn off Run, Turn on Walk
So if the player was running before he climbed the rope, it resets him back to walking speed and walking grahpic and the script recognises that he is now walking not running. (So when you select "Run" again he then changes to "Speed 4" and "charset_running".)

This will open another window and close the small character window. The Background will be a picture with all the words on the Background. However all numeric values for the stats will be scripted to show in thier place.
(see figure 5) While in "Status" press "Cancel" or "Confirm" to exit.

Magic:
Not yet decided.

Screen shots:
figure1.png

Figure 1

figure2.png

Figure 2

figure3.png

Figure 3

figure4.png

Figure 4

figure5.png

Figure 5

Other Scripts I am using (in order):
I am usung the "Blizzards DDNS" placed above main.

So is there anyone interested in making a sierra styled interface for an rpg game. I have been thinking about it for a while and i have made a 90% complete Quest for Glory 4 game, however it lacks the interface in which i have described. If anyone wants more info please post, as I will be checking this thread with enthusiasm.

Nope. It's a pretty cool idea, but it would be a lot of work.
Even for someone as good as SephirothSpawn, this would take several days, a case of Mt. Dew & a large box of Nutty Bars to complete. There are a bunch of good programmers around, but most are working on other projects.
So don't be too disappointed if no one has this much time to dedicate.

Be Well

Thanks for the support Brewmeister! I would love to be able to script myself, however i don't know where to start or even the basics. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to where to start learing Ruby "The easiest way". LOL I picked up a Ruby for dummies book at a local shop, sat down with it for about 30mins and dicovered that i have no idea about what i was reading. I understood nothing :haha:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.