Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Request for 'Tales of' Character Titles script

[size=15pt]'Tales of...' Character Title Script for RMVX[/size]
[size=10pt]Feb. 10, 2009 (First time I requested this at RMXP.org), Feb. 16, 2009 (Date when I posted it here on rmrk.net)[/size]

I MIGHT be able to do this. I've wanted to myself and just recently figured out a way it might be possible. Only thing is, I can only do it oldschool Tales style (at least at first) where the titles are just for looks and don't actually DO anything.

I think I'll plan for the possibility of stat altering just in case I can actually do it just so you can have that option should you so desire to use it.

but I must warn you that I don't know a whole lot about VX scripting... I'm used to XP stuff (and even that I'm very much a novice with) and I dunno all the differences yet... so there's a chance that what I do come up with doesn't work as expected >.>

I actually do think I've mostly figured out a way to pull this off, though. I essentially want to mimic the way equipment (let's say an accessory for simplicity's sake) works. Each character has a set of titles that they can possibly use. Titles for other characters will not show up in their list. The list of titles is kinda like an inventory and the assignment function is kinda like equipping an accessory. There would be a slot that holds the title and you 'equip' a different title from the list that are in your 'inventory' that that character can have. That sound about right? And you as the creator have the option of having that also have stat boosts (which you can then have displayed ala the game's equip screen stat thingy) or if it's just for looks, you'd set all the stat values to 0 so there would be no change.

I hope I'm not confusing... I'm kinda just rambling here trying to figure out the logical process of the approach that would need to be taken to do this all.

I'll keep you updated on whether or not I figure anything out.

I basically understand what you are saying, lol.
I'm not much of a scripter but from what I've read in VX's help manual (don't know if you've read it, but just in case), it says this about the difference:

RGSS2, which is incorporated into RPG Maker VX, has a number of differences from RGSS1, which was included with RPG Maker XP. The main differences are listed below.

The default resolution has been changed from 640×480 to 544×416 and the default frame rate has been changed from 40 to 60. Smooth Mode has been removed.

Double buffering is now used for drawing in Full Screen mode. If your computer meets the recommended specifications, scrolling should be very smooth.

The function that would assume that the program had hung up if the screen had not been refreshed for a long period of time and automatically perform a force quit has been removed. Even if the screen is not refreshed, Windows messages will still be processed normally, so in most cases you can force quit by using Alt+F4 as usual.

It is now possible to easily perform a fade-in or fade-out of the screen. To do this, you use the Graphics.fadeout and Graphics.fadein methods.

It is now possible to get a bitmap image of the current game screen. To do this, you use the Graphics.snap_to_bitmap method.

The tilemap (Tilemap) class has been significantly changed to match the RPGVX map specifications.

It is now possible to use effects such as Blur or Radial Blur with bitmaps (Bitmap).
For sprites (Sprite), a wave effect (similar to a raster scroll effect) is now supported.

By placing font files in the Fonts folder inside the game folder, it is now possible to directly use fonts that are not installed on the system.

Shadow text is now supported for the Font class (Font). A number of the default values were also changed.

It is now possible to change viewport (Viewport) associations after the fact. Sprites and other elements associated with viewports will no longer be automatically freed.

The timing with which the BGM restarts after ME playback has been improved (Audio.me_play).

In addition to the above, a number of other minor changes have been made.

In this manual, functions or specifications that have been changed for RGSS2 will be marked with a (RGSS2) symbol.

I don't have any idea of what half of what that means, though.
Thanks a lot, Crazy Li

there are obviously some code that the game hides from you and doesn't show in the scripting thingy... so I can't see how it does some stuff to learn how I would pull this off the way that I was thinking of doing it...

all-in-all, I can't say I really know how to make it work.

I've edited my first post to add more information about this script that I am requesting. I also added the demo where all the scripts I am using can be found, although, I did not add the necessary audio to make some of the scripts (MOG's in particular) to work since that would make the file bigger and would take a longer time to upload, which at the moment, my internet connection cannot accomplish.

Hey, I just started playing Tales of Legendia today and it gave me an idea. In that game, they kinda do what I was talking about with going the accessory route... basically, titles are litterally equipped (they are applied in the Equip screen).

I say that if you use a script that adds on additional equipment slots, you can create an additional accessory slot that's named "Titles" and use that for handling of titles. You can also easily do stat boosts that way if you want.

The only problem is getting it to not show those in the Items list. I dunno for sure but I think I might be able to figure out how to write an exception in your items list for it, but I'll hafta look into it. If you wanna do it that way, let me know and I'll see what needs to be changed.

The problem with going with your idea, Crazy Li, is the compatibility of the equipment script with the Tankentai SBS. I'm afraid that if we go that way, the SBS script may no longer work. But if you can make both work at the same time, then that would be great.

I wouldn't worry about it conflicting with your battle system. At least not my part of the idea. All my suggestion would be doing is taking a equipment slot you would have to have already created and then hiding that from the items list, only showing in the Equip screen.

Do you have a way to add on an extra equipment slot and alter the name? You'll need a script that does that first.

I know that Tankentai SBS has an extra accessory option, but I didn't see a way to name those.

PM me a demo with all of you scripts (You can remove graphics if you want besides those you want for the title lol) and I'll do it for you. I've done quite a few for people but It's a pain to ask for something then expect the Person helping you to make a new demo then import all of the scripts that you have... I mean I'm just saying.

If your interested PM me. This won't be my first Title scene script lol.

I just realized that there's another problem with my idea that I don't know how to get around... Titles shouldn't be completely removable... you shouldn't be capable of setting it to a blank, but I don't know how to prevent that, so I don't think it can be done right this way, unfortunately...

How about by locking that specific part of the equipment, Crazy Li? Is that possible?

EDIT:
I also uploaded a new demo with all the scripts that I am currently using since I added quite a few KGC Scripts that are compatible with the Tankentai.

Oh... Okay then.
I'm still going to wait for someone to answer this request of mine as I really wanted to implement this in my game and maybe it'll help those who are also trying to make a 'Tales of' fangame. Thanks anyway for trying.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.