Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[REQ] Class Evolution Path Tree

After a thorough search of both requested and submitted scripts, I haven't found what I was looking for. Seeing that, I decided to make a request for it.

I've always liked games that have a class evolution tree, ala Ragnarok Online, to follow. I don't have a screenshot from RO to show an example, but I did make this mock-up.
(Note: If a mod would be so kind as to put that in a spoiler box, I'd appreciate it. I have no idea how... A mention in a post how to would be nice as well.)

As you can see in the mock-up The classes are tiered. Each actor has a base class and evolutions connected by lines. Actors have to choose a path to follow, and each evolution comes with requirements.
When you click C on an icon, a help window will come up, blocking the chart. In addition, the normal help window should be up where it belongs, when the big one isn't, with the name and path of the class. (Blood Charger, Berserker Path)
The large help window will have 5 things in it:
The name of the class, a short description, equipment icons that can be used, the requirements and if the class can be chosen.

That is the design, which shouldn't be too hard.

Now, I'll describe how I'd like it to function.:
When the large help window is up, and requirements have been met, another C will bring up the Evolve option, if you choose to continue, you will lose your previous class and move on to the next.
You can view all classes right off the bat, even if you can't evolve to them yet. Classes you can't evolve to will have a gray icon on the chart.
This is basically a way for the player to evolve during the game.

Now for what I think is the more complex stuff:
Each class has a level, usually ranging from 6 to 8 levels. Each level provides a new skill with the exception of mages, which buy their skill using Sephi's Skill Shop (Please, if you may, take it into consideration when scripting, that the two scripts should work together).
Next is the hardest feature, I think, which is completely optional and should not be scripted probably. But it would be very appreciated if it was - Templates: The player may, if he wishes, save the current job advancement and skillset and begin fresh from base. The service allows to switch from old and tried to fresh and new, with 2 templates. When you switch, all job levels are stripped and so are all skills. I am aware this may be really hard, so no one really has to take this on unless they want a challenge.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the first time around: SDK compatible, please. Don't need this clashing with any other script.
EDIT 2: Leon picked up this request, no need to do it.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Hmm I am doing a skill learning system completely through events that is ALMOST similar, in the fact that you move a cursor around on tiles on a map, and learn skills from them with AP earned from battles. You could do it with events I'm pretty sure. You would have to use variables, and maybe some pictures, but you COULD do it. It actually might be easier than with a script.

Edit: Here's a pic of my thing. Your thing sounds a little bit more complex maybe...or maybe not I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure you could do it with events if no one could make a script for this.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/ ... lltree.png[/IMG]

I could, technically, do it with events.
However, the visible external levels and such are mainly windows are script only.
I prefer a script because events are harder to control use for these kinda things.

Leon

Anaxim;236043 said:
EDIT 2: Leon picked up this request, no need to do it.

I'm on it. May take anywhere from a few days to a week or two, since I have alot going on at the moment, but I will get it done. Sides, Anaxim here knows how to contact me to get my butt to work. :D

@F-chan: sillypieman's system is skills. Mine is classes.
If you need a skill version, try and ask Leon to edit the script once it's done.
@Leon: Yeah, I know how to contact you. Hope you get it done fast, you talented devil.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.