Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

REQ: animated .gif script?

using the default "pictures" folder...

itd make my life so much easier if i could use animated .gif files, using the default "show picture" event...
(to use for faces next to the text box)
http://escanabasucks.com/junk/screen.jpg
i want the guy in the lower left to animate...

i tried animated .png but that does not work...
animated .gif are easy to create, so its a good way to cheat and get stuff done for newbies...

Scripters have been working for a very long time to have animated .gif be usable in RMXP.  It's just not possible; I think someone said once about it being a hidden RGSS class that they can't change.  Sorry bud.

Scripting wouldn't solve the problem of gif visibility as it is the engine itself that doesn't allow gifs, not rgss.

But then again I may be wrong.

A way around it would be to get video creating software and make your animated gif into an avi video and use one of the movie player scripts.

A possible solution to this would be to read each frame of the gif and save that to a bitmap in memory, then animate it using the Animate This! script or manually if you know how, but dont ask me how to read each image of a gif to a bmp.

yah thats what i wanted to do but i dont know how...
i tried by events, show picture - wait 5 frames - show picture - wait 5 frames... ect...
but the text box messes up the timing...
unless you can do 2 events at the same time... one for the animation and one for the text?

OK, the script works like this.  You create an event and call a script. 
You can simply... image = GIFSprite.new(nil, x,y,loops)
then you set the image bitmap to the gif.  image.bitmap = "GIF/filename.gif"
That should be it, but you may have to set x,y again as they did in the demo by doing.. image.x/image.y = whatever.

That should handle it.  the GIF/ is a folder in the project dir called GIF.  and filename.gif is the name of the GIF file.

BTW - thanks for this lordsith.  Very useful indeed.

If that doesn't work, I believe ccoa's UMS has a way to play animated facesets, but you gotta make frame by frame .pngs...

Although, I think she took it off this forum when she left...

i think i know whats goin on...
the gifs i MAKE arent working... you must have to make them a certain way, i think paintshop animation shop 3 is too antique...
ill have to try something else

anyone else having this problem?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.