Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Removing "Level Up"

Ok, this may sound a little odd for an RPG to prevent you from leveling up, but here we go.

I was taking a look at Tricksters Skill shop system (which works very nicely i've found) and it got me thinking of an idea where all stat increases and skills learned are performed through this shop. So the idea was to use experience like a currency to buy skills, this was no problem, I just set a really high exp requirement for level 2.

Right, so onto my problems.
1. I'm having trouble figuring out how to buy stats instead of skills, just a little thing to add to a stat for one character then remove some exp to cover it.

2. The actors level is still shown in the main menu, it'd be really nice if that could be removed or hidden.

So if anyone can help that would be awesome, i'm just hoping it won't interfere with too many default systems along the way.

Edit: A little afterthought, but it'd also be cool if the script would allow class changes to be purchased, just an idea.

Well, here's what I can think of. It's not scripting, because I suck at that, but it should still work.

1: Make an item similar to the "Seed of ..." items that increases stats. Have it trigger a common event that reduces experience.
2: Not sure about this one, but I'll take a look and see what I find.

gratheo;261128 said:
Well, here's what I can think of. It's not scripting, because I suck at that, but it should still work.

1: Make an item similar to the "Seed of ..." items that increases stats. Have it trigger a common event that reduces experience.
2: Not sure about this one, but I'll take a look and see what I find.

That could work pretty nicely, might be a little complicated but I guess it would get the job done. Still not sure how i'd get it to work with tricksters system, i'll probably end up using a regular shop for that item. Thanks for the tip.

Still, anyone else willing to pick this up? I'm sure more than one person will find this useful.

@Mastermind : Hey, that works pretty nice. Thanks!

Looks like nobody seems to want to help with number one right now. I can do it with a regular shop, it'd just be nice to integrate it into the skill shop system.

I'll take a crack at it, but I have a few questions about specifics:
Does each upgrade cost the same amount?
Does each upgrade increase the same amount?
Does each actor upgrade the same amount?
Do you want it at the same shop, or just the same style? (Do you want an edit or a new script?)

Bearcat;264368 said:
I'll take a crack at it, but I have a few questions about specifics:
Does each upgrade cost the same amount?
It'd be nice to have a user defined increase per level, like having a base of 20 exp to increase def by 5 then I could say +10 exp cost per increase in the script editor. Not sure how hard that would be for you, but if you think you can do it that'd be really cool. :D
Bearcat;264368 said:
Does each upgrade increase the same amount?
Yes, every upgrade will increase the stat by the same amount each time, it will just cost more to do so.
Bearcat;264368 said:
Does each actor upgrade the same amount?
Yeah, the plan is that two characters can spend the same amount of exp to get the same increases.
Bearcat;264368 said:
Do you want it at the same shop, or just the same style? (Do you want an edit or a new script?)
The same style, that way I have a shop for stats and a shop for skills. Of course if it's easier to edit the existing script go ahead, I don't want to make extra work for you.

If you can do this for me that'd be really great, I'm sure I don't have to mention that you'd be getting a big thank you in the credits. :D

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.