Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Puzzler Item System

I thought up an item system that would be very useful for a small project I'm working on in my off time. I'm aiming for it to be a roughly 3-5hr puzzle-based game and this item system lies at the core. I'd appreciate any help I could get with this script!

---ITEM MENU---
Items are subdivided into category. The ones I specifically need are "Relics", "Medicine", "Scrolls", and "Offerings". I need some way to be able to tag items to show which category they'll be listed under. It'd be convenient to be able to tag a number or symbol onto each item name. For example, if the first character of an item name in the database is @, then it's a medicine. If it's a #, it's a scroll, and so on.

---ITEM DETAILS---
Secondly, I want to have item details. The way I picture it is, along the top of the screen is a row of four buttons, one for each category. Below it on the left is a single-column list of the items in the current category. To the right of that is the details box, which lists a details for each item from a txt file.
EDIT: The details don't have to be terribly... well, detailed. Since the game in question lacks a 'battle' system as you might imagine one, all it needs is an icon, item name, and a description from a text file.

---ITEM PUZZLES---
This is where it gets interesting! With all my NPCs and at several points in the game I plan to give them interaction menus. These are simple, basic choice menus. A choice for "Talk", a choice for "Shop" if they buy/sell, a choice for any other unique functions of the particular NPC... And an "Item" choice. Selecting Item will call up a script that displays a window listing all of my Other Items. One column wide, four rows tall, scrollable. No detail window required. A player can scroll down the list of items and select an item. If that item can be used on that NPC/event, it goes down one fork. If not, it goes down another fork.

For example, if a character claims to have dropped something very important to them at the shrine, and I find an Heirloom Necklace at the shrine, I can give it to them. However, if I instead hand them a dead rat, I'd get a very different reaction from them. It can also be used for puzzles... If the door has a Star-Shaped Slot in it, I can place an item in the slot. A Star Crest will open the door. A Cheese Sandwich will not.

---COMPATIBILITY---
I'm not working with the SDK. I am, however, using ccoa's UMS.

I'm not sure, but perhaps try this for the item puzzles?
http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=24304.0#Script7

It creates a smaller item window (which you access by the shift button, but that can easilly be changed to being called with an event or so if you prefer) from where you can select an item which will give a reaction from an event (you can give people stuff, use keys on doors and whatever, just like you mentioned). ^^

It's quite easy to modify, and the instructions (and a better explanation than mine) is in that post.

I hope this helps ^^

Create 4 new elements: "Relics", "Medicine", "Scrolls", and "Offerings", then just check the element box for each item.
Then your menu script can check for the element setting to determine which sub-menu to display the item in.
That will save you having to remove a special character from the name in all the scripts that use the name.

Just a thought

P.S. just stumbled on this. Might be a good starting point. with some edits it could be exactly what you're looking for... (at least the main menu / item menu part)
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1599

Brewmeister;205484 said:
P.S. just stumbled on this. Might be a good starting point. with some edits it could be exactly what you're looking for... (at least the main menu / item menu part)
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1599

I looked at that actually, but I really wanted something that displayed details without having to press extra buttons since item descriptions become very important. I also don't need all those extra details like stats, heal power, elements, target, etc. It's all way too much cluttered information, more than my game actually needs.

Thank you very much elemmiire! I plan to give that script a shot, I'm sure it could at least be modified to my needs.

I'd still like an actual item menu tailored to my game's style and needs.

EDIT: Having a major problem with that item script... It acts as though I handed it the correct item, no matter what item I hand over. x_x

EDIT 2: Fixed the event item issue! Thanks BlueScope ^^

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.