Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Pokemon game for Gameboy

Which Pokemon game for Gameboy is the best? What's the difference between all the colors? Okay, first of all - I realize that this is an absurd question for an 18 year old to be asking, but I had the weirdest craving to play Pokemon the other day. I did once a long time ago for about three weeks straight, and I rather enjoyed collecting all the little animals and naming them. If there's another game with a similar premise you think is better, please suggest that to me rather than telling me how ridiculously stupid I am for wanting to play Pokemon. I already know that.

Yellow special edition is one of the first completely great entries.

Meanwhile, crystal was absolutely amazing with the things you could do.

...Actually to be honest any one of those entries, like emeral and yellow and crystal, are pretty great. I prefer crystal, but most of the games's extra content(s) are pretty good. Also, the older editions 'move' faster in general, which I prefer.

Daxis":2or3chmf said:
Yellow special edition is one of the first completely great entries.

Meanwhile, crystal was absolutely amazing with the things you could do.

...Actually to be honest any one of those entries, like emeral and yellow and crystal, are pretty great. I prefer crystal, but most of the games's extra content(s) are pretty good. Also, the older editions 'move' faster in general, which I prefer.

Actually, the only main-series Pokémon games that work on the GameBoy are Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green. Gold, Silver, and Crystal required the GameBoy Color. None of these will work on anything later than a GameBoy Advance SP.

united washcloth express":2uydt9pt said:
Gold and silver will still work. You justt won't get the battle animations.
They'll even work on a Super Gameboy too

I would test that, but it would require locating my Game Boy and four batteries to place in the back. All I remember is (and I checked to confirm) that the Gold and Silver boxes had "GameBoy Color" on them instead of "GameBoy", and that when one of my friend's gameshark broke and stopped working properly it made his Silver version complain about being in a GameBoy instead of a GameBoy Color. Also, the only cartridge-based mainline Pokémon games that had animations were Crystal and Emerald. Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, and LeafGreen were all devoid of animations.

I would +1 for Gold Silver or Crystal.

Reasons:

While Red and Blue are great and ground breaking at the time a lot of what made them really stand out have become staples of the series and of other RPGs. I've had people who love Fire red and Leaf green but hate Red and Blue because they're clunky. But, if you're really into pokemon, still check them out. Gold and Silver fixed most of these problems and added a ton of new mechanics Day/Night, breeding, and introduced (some) balance with dark and steel. Crystal also upped the story.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.