Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Point and click interface?

This is not exactly a request so much as an idea. I think it would be very intresting if someone were to make a set of scripts that would allow the creation of point and click style adventure games with RMXP.

Instead of a third person perspective like the Lucasarts games, I think a first person perspective would be easier for people to work with. Just show a 2d image of a room, maybe with some people in it and there would be no need to create graphics for your character walking around. A person could use a program like poser to create the images if they chose.

There would have to be some graphics for the mouse pointer of course. And at the bottom of the screen, a list of interactions you could perform like: Look, talk to, give, open, take, use ect ect. Basicly I would make the main character graphic (aluxes) into an arrow. When you click on "talk to" it would change the aluxes into a different character represented by a mouth graphic.

The game creator would place invisible events on the screen, overlapping the interactive objects on the 2d image. These events would have conditional branches on them checking to see who the main character is, the mouth, the eye, the hand...and also checking to see if the left mouse button is being pressed. Then a text box would pop up saying what the result of the action was. Like if you clicked the "talk" icon on a door the text would say "why are you talking to a door?" and if you used the open icon on it, the 2d graphic would change so that the door is open.

On the bottom left corner of the screen should be a eight direction compass which by clicking on one of the arrows would move your character in that direction(if you can move in that direction that is), thus changing the 2d image displayed on the screen. Again, accomplished by placing invisible events on top of the image of the compass.

If someone made such a system, I would surely use it. I'd use the Morrowind CS to create the 2d images, since I dont know how to use poser and my art is not good enough to actually draw the stuff.

Lambchop wrote a mouse system:
Super Simple Mouse...
That controls the mouse and does have coding for menu interface.

You may need a little more coding, but the basics for window select and movement are already there.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.