Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

'p' hidden class

Is 'p' a hidden class? I figured it must be, but then of course it might just be built in to RGSS... :/

You can make simple popups with:

p 'message'

But, is there any way of making popups with more in them? I.e. graphics, more buttons, etc? Like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... r/meep.png[/IMG]

Also, is there any way of adding a menu bar (as seen in the above pic) like in Windows programs? There must be some way, as these can be done in Ruby (no idea how) and RGSS is just a different form of Ruby... isn't it?

sorry, but I beleive you'd have to script a more advanced pop-up. 'p' is the same as 'print' which is a built into Ruby (and in some variation to all high-level languages) which prints text to the screen in:
Code:
print("[I]text[/I]")

p and print are methods of the Kernel module.

There is a way for making better pop ups, with APIs. I know how to do that, but it has a problem, while the pop up is active, the Graphics.update method is not called, and the game crash by a System Stack Error if the pop up is actived more than 8 seconds aproximated.

Also, is there any way of adding a menu bar (as seen in the above pic) like in Windows programs? There must be some way, as these can be done in Ruby (no idea how) and RGSS is just a different form of Ruby... isn't it?
Can be done with APIs, but it is very difficult. Use visual basic or c for making that, it will be easier.

So in short, there is no way to do it without learning another programming language... oh well.

About making a menu bar, would it be able to "interact" properly with the game, i.e. would I be able to have buttons on it call in game methods, etc?

That's what I was planning on doing, I just thought it would look more professional, be garunteed to work better, and be easier to do if there was an actual proper way to do it like in Windows programs.

Edit: Also, the menu bar would look out of place when used with other Windows skins. If it was a "proper" menu bar it would change to suit the skin the user has.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.