Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Old-Style Menu System.

Hey, I'm making a NES esque game, and what'd really be great is a menu system that is similar to that of Dragon Warrior. I'd like it to open via the action key, rather then the Cancel Key, and to be closed via the cancel key.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/ ... system.jpg[/IMG]

Basically that's all I really want, the only actual hard things would be the Talk and Search, but that's nothing compared to some of the other extravigant scripts I've seen done here.

**About that option, basically how it works is it basically executes what the action key would normally be doing, so if you're next to an NPC and you select "Talk" It starts that NPC's event. If there's nobody there, you'll get a message (via the default text box event), Same thing goes with search, except with search, it's regular events like treasure chests and signs and whatnot.

Anyway, I'd be more then happy to help and do what I can and cooperate with you to get this done, I just won't sit around and let you do all the work, I'll help with what I can but I already know I don't have enough Ruby/RGSS Knowledge to do this on my own. The simplest way I can think of doing the Talk/Search thing (which is something I really want, to give it that feel) is with Common events, and calling on the certain script for Each NPC and Event I make in the game, which I have no problem with. Well, thanks in advance!

~turtle

I know using common events is kinda... well noobish, but this does seem like it would be quite simple if you just make a common event for it. I could attempt at it but anytime i try to actually make a common event thing... well people make fun of me, so if you want me to, i will.

Edit: and why wouldnt u just use enter for the talk and search? It would be much simpler.

I don't know really...I'm trying to make a parody of the old 8-Bit Generation Games, and if you've ever played dragon warrior, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and I don't mind if you do it with Common events, I really have no room to judge since I've forgotten almost all my skill with scripting and eventing in my long year and a half break from RPG Maker.

Well I can try to make it but I cant promise that it'll fully work lol. I always tend to mess something up and yes, ive played drahon warrior, but I find the talk feature and search feature pretty useless when theres a perfectly fine working enter button on everyones computer (and yes there are two so if ones broken they can do the other), and not to mention I would require to do some script calling (as I already will have to do) with that so if I do it, I'll leave those two things out. If your dead set on using those then I cant do this for you.

Alright. Now im not exactly sure how ill do this, and sadly it might have to be set up on another map. I'm not completely sure how to set it up exactly, but i'll try the best I can to do this. (The button to select an option wont be enter because that would cause problems with if an event were to be in front of you). im not exactly sure how long it'll take me because im slightly busy and i dont use the rmxp all that much (and sometimes the computer doesnt want to run it and gives me stupid errors)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.