Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Old, old, old (old) school assignment (Extremely long read)

Well, I thought that, since I was mucking around with posting my old "literary" works, I might as well pull out the single longest piece of writing I have ever done. It was an assignment for an 8th grade "core" class, which amounts to history, English, and literature, all rolled into one class. This assignment, aptly called "Westward Journal", was supposed to be the "journal" of a person traveling to California in 1849, as part of a wagon train. In my case, I didn't follow the rules completely, and I cut it a bit short because I was tired of the thing, and wanted to do something else. Despite all of this, I got one of the highest scores in the class. I have no idea why, to be honest. Please note that any commentary on this would be at least six years out of date, and that I haven't really written anything close to this size since then. That said, I would appreciate comments, because I've found this to be very different from what I remembered. Anyway, on to murder by boredom.

Westward Journal":3oj6pzc6 said:
February 22, 1849
Dear Journal,
My name is William J. Smith II, and I am about five feet tall, weigh about eighty-five pounds, am fourteen years of age, and am a little thin. I have dirty blonde hair, glasses, and am one of the tallest people I have met. I have long limbs, can run short distances, and walk extremely long distances. I have a generally kindly disposition, with a short temper, and I enjoy reading books. I have a large collection of books. My father is very much like me, except for books, while my mother considers herself a little “overripe”. Mother is shorter than me and has a stockier build. Mother also loves to cook with a great variety of food. My younger brother, Jonathon T. Smith, is built very much like my mother. Jonathon is five years of age and enjoys harassing me, running around, and playing with his friends. I also have a pet cat named Archibald, who is brown with lighter brown stripes. Archibald likes to sit in my lap and rest, but completely ignores Father and Jonathon. Archibald also likes Mother, and she enjoys his company. I love my cat beyond doubt.
Sincerely,
William
March 6, 1849
Dear Journal
Father has just been fired, and has decided to move out West, and I am so angry! I think he would be more likely to find a job in New York or someplace like that, but No, he has to move out west to find a new job! He is more likely to die on the way, as are I and any other members. I would rather stay here, in our city, and help my father do his accounting. The only problem is that I cannot if he takes me out West. Jonathon, on the other hand, is very excited, and does not seem to know the implications of getting there. Mother is very sad, because she cannot take any of her favorite possessions, like her sewing machine, or her family furniture, et cetra, and she has been forced to sell it, piece by piece. I have been forced to sell all of my favorite books, which infuriates me, because it was not my choice. Father has already taken us to Independence Square, and is choosing supplies. I wish him to at least choose items that will help me keep learning along the way, but he has not yet told me if he would get them. Does he not want me to learn and gain a superior job? The only other thing is that I had to sell Archibald, my pet cat, before we move. I hope Archibald is doing well where he was taken.
Sincerely,
William
March 10, 1849
Dear Journal,
Father has finally chosen the supplies we will take with us on the trail, and the items I had requested are not there. I am so infuriated. I wish I could secretly buy the learning supplies I need, but they will not fit with what else Father has bought and will slow us down. I do so wish we could take two wagons, because I know we could afford it. Alas, Father does not seem to have thought of that possibility, which saddens me. Furthermore, I have the belief that some of the supplies are unneeded while others that we do not have are needed. The supplies are as follows:
One pair of candlesticks
Fifteen yards of fabric
Cooking utensils for the family
Two lanterns
One clock (don’t need)
One Stool (don’t need)
Twenty candles
One set of dishes
Two match bottles with matches
One cooking pan
One woven basket (don’t need)
Three blankets
A family Bible
One Dutch oven
One wooden bucket
One coffee pot (don’t need)
Some plant seeds
One coffee grinder (don’t need)
Some family heirlooms
One gallon of coal oil
Four sets of needle and thread
One hunting knife
One powder horn
One guitar
One fiddle
Four sets of eating utensils
Two family first aid kits
Two pistols
One rifle
Four sets of extra boots
One set of chaps
Four sets of snowshoes
Two pick axes
Two one hundred foot ropes
Two hatchets
One axe
One shovel
One hammer
One set of four steel traps
One bellows for the fire (don’t need)
One vise (don’t need)
One assortment of tools
Two sets of twine
Two bottles of axle grease
Two oxen yoke repair kits
One hundred pounds of flour
Fifty pounds of bacon
Fifty pounds of vegetables (need more)
Fifteen pounds of dried fruit
Twenty pounds of sugar
Twenty-five pounds of dried beefTwenty-five pounds of salt
Five gallons of vinegarOne hundred pounds of seeds
One chicken coop with four chickens
One extra keg of gun powder
Twenty gallons of water in a barrel
Finally, we end up taking the rest of the money with us, which is about $3,542. I thought that we would have more than that left, but I guess I was wrong. I believe that I have forgotten to write my parents’ ages. My father is thirty-nine years of age while my mother is thirty-three years old, and is upset by everything. I have decided to confront father over the chosen supplies.
Sincerely,
William
March 11, 1849
Dear Journal,
The confrontation was a success! Father has decided not to buy the clock, the stool, the woven basket, the coffee pot, the coffee grinder, one needle and thread, three pairs of extra boots, three sets of snowshoes, the bellows, the vise, one bottle of axle grease, and one axle repair kit. He has decided to instead obtain one bag of clothing and one cooking stove. He has not decided to obtain materials to further my education along the way, although I nearly begged. I believe that the idea of me buying some more books would not further me much, since Father would surely find out and punish me. I do so wish I could have some books to read along the way. I believe I must content myself in other ways. Jonathon is still excited about the “trip” but I cannot seem to get it across to him that this “trip” is dangerous. Mother has decided to go forward from here and not look to the past. I have decided to try to sneak at least one book onto the wagon.
Sincerely,
William
March 26, 1849
Dear Journal,
Today we left for California! Father says we will travel northwest until we reach Fort Leavenworth, passing through St. Charles, Jefferson City, Boon’s Ville, Lexington City, and Kansas City along the way. It was a cloudless, cool day, a good omen. I believe Father has not discovered my book yet, and I aim to keep it so. I believe that Jonathon has decided he does not like this “trip” as much as he thought he would, he says his legs hurt from riding all day. Today we traveled a grand total of fifteen miles, which I believe is a great deal of distance for what I have traveled before. Mother is complaining about the lack of variety of food to cook. I am content with what she did cook, as it is enough to fill me. Father is happy that we have begun traveling, and stated that he “would be more satisfied for every mile closer to our goal we obtain.” I believe he will soon realize how serious this journey really is, I know, because I did the research. I have heard that at least one member of every wagon dies along the way. I certainly hope that neither Mother nor Father dies on this journey. Mother is the only person in this family who cooks, while Father is the one who will work for the family.
Sincerely,
William
March 28, 1849
Dear Journal,
Today we reached the city of St. Charles! I am excited beyond belief. I have asked Father if I could have some more books, and he stated that I could as long as I “ could as long as I could carry them. I have chosen some of my favorite authors, including Shakespeare. I decided to sell my other book, as I have already finished reading it. Yesterday and today it was about fifty degrees, out. The sky was cloudless today, but there was a light drizzle yesterday. Yesterday I met Cassidy Cooper, and I hope to see her again soon. The Coopers are the family in the wagon behind us. Father says that the Mchaffes are in the wagon in front of us, but I haven’t met any of them yet. I have been picking some plants to press, but I don’t have any thing to do that with. Yesterday Jonathon found my book and threatened to tell Father, but I threatened to tell Father who spilled ink in the wagon. I hop that the threat holds, or I will be in trouble for hiding something on the wagon. I believe that the wagon is a very slow way to travel, but Father says it is the only way to get across the continent. One of the needle and thread sets disappeared in the night last night, and I think it was stolen. Mother has convinced Father to buy a new set today. I hope this journey will go well.
Sincerely,
William
March 31, 1849
Dear Journal,
Today we obtained entrance to Jefferson City! The last two days have been sunny and about fifty-three degrees. The train stopped here for today, and we had a civilized meal for once. Father stocked up on some of the food we ate, so the wagon is full again. I believe that Jonathon is the one who tore some of the pages out of my book, because no one has apologized yet. Jonathon is an annoying little pest, always getting in my stuff, and trying to irritate me, while I try to ignore it. Mother was happier today for the food we were able to eat. I found Archibald in the wagon tonight; I hope the people I sold him to are not too angry over his disappearance. I believe Archibald may have been following us, trying to catch up, for the entire journey so far. I told Father and he looked very surprised, but said if I could catch food for him then I could keep him. I certainly hope that I am able to catch food for Archibald, as I wish to keep him. Mother, on the other hand, was happy that Archibald came back, as was I. Jonathon was sad, because he would have a constant reminder that Archibald does not like him. Archibald also looked like he had not eaten much, so I immediately fed him. I believe cats can help you solve any problem. If I cannot keep him this time, Mother will be devastated.
Sincerely,
William
April 10, 1849
Dear Journal,
Today we were stuck in the mud and could not travel any further because it was raining, so the entire train is waiting for clear weather. The first to the third it was cloudy and a little breezy later on. On the fourth and fifth it rained a little, and then cleared up to the ninth. Today I collected plant specimens to draw and here they are:

(Dammit! I lost the fucking images!)

I looked up the plants in the guide as a picked them, so I have their names as well. I haven’t found any acceptable specimens of other plants that I am seeing. Mother is depressed for reasons that I cannot fathom. Jonathon, always trying to annoy me, has struck again. I had been unable to find several of my books one morning, and still have not found them. I believe that Jonathon might have hidden them in a bush somewhere and then left them there. He is constantly trying to steal this journal, so I am inventing new ways to hide it every night. Father is depressed because we have “only traveled two hundred thirty-three miles”. I think that that is a large amount of miles for how long we have been traveling. I talked to Cassidy Cooper today, and she seems very intelligent about housework. I believe I like her very much.
Sincerely,
William
Hi,
Yesterday I stole William’s journal! I am very happy that I finaly did it. I hope I can keep it for a while before William finds out. I like to annoy William a lot. I did not like the traced plants William put in the journal, but I did not ruin them, because he might get really mad at me. I like what he did to the cover of this journal. I do not like the smell of the lether, though. I hope the smell goes away. I like William’s writing, and I wish mine was that good. I wish I had a journal like this one, because I like this one.
signed,
Jonathon
April 27, 1849
Dear Journal.
I am so angry with Jonathon! Not only did he steal my journal, but he defiled it as well! I cannot believe that he had been able to hide the journal for so long! Other than that, the weather was, in the beginning, since my last entry, sunny, then cloudy and windy. Four days ago we had a tornado and had to stop. After passing Fort Leavenworth, we continued northwest toward Fort Kearney. I had thought that mother was depressed, but I was mistaken. Now I know what her being depressed is really like. Father is still not happy about the distance we have traveled, and I cannot cheer him up. I believe that if we had traveled more than half the distance by this time, he still would not be happy. Father says that tomorrow we will enter Pawnee territory, and that the Pawnee are hostile, which means that they will attack us if they obtain a chance. Yesterday we encountered a herd of buffalo, and the men went out to hunt. I chased off some coyotes while they were gone. The oxen are happy eating the plentiful grasses of the plains, but people need real food. Father also shot some prairie hens and caught another to put in the chicken coop. I believe we are almost to Indian Territory. Father says the first Indians we encounter will be the Pawnee and that they are hostile.
Sincerely
William
May 3, 1849
Dear Journal,
Today the Pawnee Indians attacked us! I cannot believe that they found us so quickly! It just does not make any sense, how fast they found us. I was very afraid, but the adults just circled the wagons and shot at the Indians. I hope they do not attack us again, but I am not very sure that we scared them away. Mother held Jonathon the entire attack. Father was defending the wagons, and I was afraid that he would be killed. If he were killed, there would be no one to earn a living for the family. We are almost to Fort Kearney, and when we pass it we will follow the Platte River to the South and the North Platte River fork. The last few days have been sunny, with a temperature of about sixty-five degrees. It was also windy yesterday, and I was afraid that there would be another tornado, but there was not. I hope that I never see another tornado again in my entire life! I believe that a tornado is the most evil, most powerful thing I have ever seen. I hope that I see Cassidy soon. I also hope that Cassidy will remain safe from the dangers we will face along the way to California.
Sincerely,
William
May 7, 1849
Dear Journal,
Soon we will be in the territory of the Sioux as well as the Pawnee, and both groups are hostile. The recent weather was sunny, then cloudy. The temperature was about seventy degrees. We have passed Fort Kearney, and now we are following the Platte River. Today we broke an axle. We had top stop to repair it, and that took a long time. While we waited I saw some wolves towards the edge of the horizon, but they quickly disappeared. I was happy they disappeared, because if they had attacked us, we would be in trouble. Furthermore, wolves might be able to kill our oxen, which would be very bad for us indeed. Wolves might be dangerous, but there are many things that can happen out here that are even more dangerous. There are buffalo stampedes, which trample almost anything. There are tornados, which can pick up almost anything not attached to the ground and tear it apart. Another danger is drought, which can dry up almost anything and dehydrate everyone to the point of death. I have also heard that the rattlesnake is the most dangerous thing in this area, as it can kill almost anything with one bite.
Sincerely,
William
May 15, 1849
Dear Journal,
Today there was a buffalo stampede! I believe that the stampede was more dangerous than the adults are letting on, because I have heard of entire wagons of people being trampled to death. Luckily, nobody was hurt this time. I am happy that Mother has become happier. We are still following the Platte River, and expect to reach the fork soon. Most of the time since my last entry it has been raining, with a temperature of about sixty-eight degrees out. We are now in the territory of only the Sioux, and that means that there are less Indians to attack us. I have noticed a subtle change in the plant life around here, and I believe we are in for a change soon. The current plants are thinning out and being replaced by new ones. The new species of plants are entirely unfamiliar to me. I also hope that there are no more stampedes. That is my third largest hope for this journey. The largest hope is that we all make it to California safely. If we all make it to California safely, we will be happy. Jonathon may finally be realizing that this journey is dangerous. Jonathon is a little more subdued now, which helps a lot. I hope he stays like this, or stops annoying me altogether. I believe that if Jonathon realizes the full extent of the danger of this journey he would be very frightened. I, for some reason, hope that Jonathon realizes the danger he is in. I am seeing a great difference in how every person is behaving by now. Everybody is more subdued, and less excited.
Sincerely,
William
May 17, 1849
Dear Journal,
Today we found an abandoned wagon! We were able to replace all of our supplies! I hope we have fortunes this happy the rest of the way. Otherwise, the last two days have been warm but cloudy. Father once again says that we will reach the South Platte River soon. I certainly hope so, fishing and following a river is getting quite dull. In about two weeks time we will be in Cheyenne territory, then, a day later, we will be in the territory of both the Cheyenne and the Arapaho. Both the Cheyenne and the Arapaho tribes are hostile, so they will attack us if they can. We have fully transitioned into a new plant zone, as I wish to call them. There are many different types of plant, but I could only find a few fine specimens. These are strange plants that I have never seen before. The plants here seem very strange to me. The animals are also strange to me, although they taste good. I believe that they are also good to eat. Jonathon started harassing me again, but that was to be expected. This time he spilled ink in one of my books, and told me to my face, without apologizing. Yesterday we had dinner with the Coopers, and I believe that Cassidy may like me.
Sincerely,
William
May 22, 1849
Dear Journal,
Yesterday I saw a cougar attack one of the riders! It was very frightening, seeing the cougar take clawed swipes at him, but luckily the other riders shot at the cougar and killed it. I wonder what cougar meat tastes like. In about a week we will be in the territory of the Cheyenne and the Arapaho Indians. We crossed the South Platte River the day after my last entry, and have been traveling northwest towards Courthouse Rock. We have been able to see Courthouse Rock since yesterday, and fully expect to reach it by tomorrow. It is positively amazing that Courthouse rock is so large. After we pass Courthouse Rock, we will continue northwest toward Chimney Rock, then Scottsbluff, then stop at Fort Laramie. Most of the days after my last entry have been sunny and warm, with one or two warm cloudy days. I did not know before, but we are in the territory of the Sioux Indians, which are hostile. I certainly hope they do not take it into their minds to attack us, for that would not be very safe for us. I caught a squirrel today, and mother says we will have squirrel stew tonight. I have never tasted squirrel stew before, though I have heard of it, and I hope that it will taste delicious. I have heard that the people in wagon six, the Parakees, are eating cougar tonight, (from the attack) Jonathon is still trying to irritate me, and it is starting to get on Mother’s nerves. Mother told Jonathon to stop, so he stopped, for a short time. I believe that Jonathon has almost no activity to satisfy himself, so he attempts to irritate me to pass the time.
Sincerely,
William
May 30, 1849
Dear Journal,
Today we were almost attacked by the Cheyenne Indians! Some arrows were fired at us, so we circled the wagons and prepared a defense, but they did not attack us, for some reason or other. The family heads decided to camp where we circled for the night. I was very frightened for a while, and then I calmed down. Jonathon was not very afraid, because he did not seem to realize the danger we were in. On the twenty-fourth Chimney Rock became visible, and we reached the monolithic monument on the twenty-fifth. On the twenty-seventh Scottsbluff became visible, and we reached it on the twenty-eighth. Scottsbluff, as are all the other stone monoliths in the area, is monumental in size. After passing Scottsbluff, we continued northwest toward Fort Laramie. The recent weather was a little cloudy, very warm, and rather dry. Yesterday I ran into a snake, but was away fast enough not to get bitten. Mother is sad for the reason that she remembered something she had wished to bring on the journey and did not remember. I hope that she finds other things to occupy her mind with soon, instead of lamenting about that lost item. Jonathon has calmed down a small amount, but there is a long way to go. I hope we get to the end of the trail soon. I do not believe we will, though, because I have heard that we are about halfway there. I have also heard that most of the snakes around here are venomous. I hope that a snake never bites me. There are many types of snake I have seen, but I have only seen one up close.
Sincerely,
William
June 4, 1849
Dear Journal,
We just left Fort Laramie, and have been traveling northwest, following the trail toward where the North Platte River becomes the Sweetwater River, from there we will follow the river to Independence Rock. It feels very hot out, at about seventy-four degrees. The weather has been very sunny, and getting warmer. Mother has thought of something else, I do not know what, that has made her much happier. I hope she stays happy. Jonathon is irritating me with his constantly calling my attention to tiny things for no reason. A snake bit Father’s horse yesterday, but it is all right. I hope that a rattlesnake never bites it. I believe that I had heard that the rattlesnake is the most venomous snake in this area. I have heard that if a rattlesnake bites you you almost always die. Many people have heard that the rattlesnake is to be avoided at almost all costs. I had heard from Andrew Mchaffe that one of the Barkers was bitten and killed by a rattlesnake.
Sincerely,
William
June 14, 1849
Dear Journal,
We reached the Sweetwater River a couple of days ago, and are expecting to reach Independence Rock in almost a month. It has been rainy recently. The weather was also very warm. In fact, it was so wet day before yesterday that we had to stop because wagons were getting stuck in the mud. Mother is still happy, and she told me why. She said that she just thought of what all the other people must have wanted to bring and could not, how some items might have been much more important to them than the item she wanted to bring was to her. I hope that this new philosophy of hers keeps her happy instead of making her depressed for the other people and what they could not bring. Day before yesterday I stopped to chat with the Barkers, whose wagon was stuck in the mud. They said that they had heard one of the Millers say, “A rattlesnake is the most dangerous animal in this area.” I stated “I have been in agreement with them for a long while.”
Sincerely,
William
July 6, 1849
Dear Journal,
I cannot believe that I could not locate this journal for nearly a month! This misplacing of the journal is probably the result of Jonathon stealing the journal, although there is no new writing in it. We have finally reached Independence Rock, and so close to this nation’s day of independence! Independence rock is so monolithic, and terribly high. On the twenty-seventh we crossed the Sweetwater River, and the leaders of the families said that we would cross the river again on the eighth. After crossing the river we will head west toward the South Pass. Archibald has just disappeared, and there are no hints as to what could have happened to him. There are some reasons that I believe the Archibald is out hunting, but I am not sure. I hope that he is all right, otherwise I will be very saddened, as will Mother. Mother is already sad, as she was the first person that I told. Mother also does not believe my theory of Archibald being out hunting. Jonathon is much happier, because Archibald never liked him. Jonathon refuses to believe that Archibald is out hunting, preferring to believe that Archibald has been shot by a hunter or has met a similar end. Father was not swayed either way when I told him. Father was upset because we are not even halfway to California yet. Father is also upset for the reason that there are indications of the wagon train moving for the next two days.
Sincerely,
William
July 12, 1849
Dear Journal,
The crossing of the Sweetwater River was successful, and we have been following the Sweetwater ever since. After we reach South Pass, we will cross the Sweetwater and head south to Fort Bridger. The weather was rainy the day after my last entry, and about seventy-seven degrees out. The temperature has climbed steadily ever since. We are almost out of Indian Territory, and that is heartening almost every person in this wagon train. I certainly hope that Indians do not attack us before then, as we could sustain casualties before we are able to end the attack. I also hope that Indians do not attack us because they would kill Archibald if they were given the chance to do so. Jonathon has been very rude recently, not helping me when I politely ask, running around and causing a ruckus, and being curt with his responses to my questions. Jonathon’s rude behavior may be a result of Archibald returning. Mother is happy, and admits that I may have been right, with my theory of the hunting. Jonathon was relatively upset, because he had been content with mental images of a violent death for Archibald. Father was, like always, not swayed by the return of Archibald. Father is still unhappy with the miles we have traveled, and is hoping that we can travel farther soon. I hope that Father becomes realistic about how far we have traveled, or we are in for a miserable time. If Father does not become realistic about this journey, he will stay surly and withdrawn the whole time, ruining it for us.
Sincerely,
William
July 19, 1849
Dear Journal,
We are finally out of Indian Territory! I almost feel that it is too good to be true! Mother is much happier, as is Father. I am ecstatic, and feel that almost nothing would be better. On the other hand, Jonathon is sadder, because for some reason he was hoping for another attack from the Indians. We crossed the Sweetwater for the final time on the fifteenth, and then we traveled along the river toward South Pass. We are still headed to the pass, and I hope we reach it soon. The weather recently has been sunny, with a temperature of about seventy-eight degrees. Mother had become sad about a day ago because she thought of how this trip must be affecting Archibald. I hope Mother stays happy this time, because she depresses me when she is depressed. Jonathon tried to trick me into believing that the adults had lied and that we were still in Indian Territory. Of course I did not believe him, as he is Jonathon. Jonathon asked Father if he was right in his thinking, and Father became extremely angry. Father told Jonathon that there would be absolutely no reason to lie about that. Father also told Jonathon not to make false assumptions about adults, as he would be one some day.
Sincerely,
William
July 23, 1849
Dear Journal,
We have run out of some of the materials needed to make bread! I believe that mother is trying to negotiate a trade for flour, but I am not sure. I certainly hope that that belief is true, because we are in a large amount of trouble if it is not. We are still continuing toward South Pass, and hope to reach it sooner than later. After we reach South pass, we will leave the Sweetwater and move south toward Fort Bridger, where we will rest for a day, and refill our supplies. It has usually been warm and sunny since my last entry. Otherwise, it rained on the twenty-first through the twenty-third, and the wagons became stuck in the mud on the second and third days, and could not continue on the journey. During this time I chatted with Brad Duff, who had heard some interesting rumors. Brad had heard that Caroline M. Foster had had a journal she was keeping stolen, along with some supplies. Duff had also heard that the thief was none other than Jackson Cooper, and I, liking Cassidy so much, refused to believe that rumor. I have also heard from others that Brad is just someone who just makes up rumors for the fun of it. I heard that a snake bit George Mchaffe. I certainly hope that that never happens to me, as I have3 heard that most of the snakes around here are venomous.
Sincerely,
William
July 27, 1849
Dear Journal,
We have run out of bread, or at least everything needed to make it. Mother hopes we get to Fort Bridger soon, as that will remedy this problem. Until then, we cannot have bread! Mother is depressed because of this, Jonathon is more irritating than ever, and I am more irritable than ever. I have reason to e believe that Jonathon spilling flour may have caused this shortage, as everything in the wagon recently obtained a thin white coat along with all the residue of dust from this journey. Father is not affected by the shortage because he rarely eats bread. We reached South Pass on the twenty-fifth, and are now headed south toward Fort Bridger. After we rest and replenish our supplies at Fort Bridger, we will head north toward Fort Hall. On the way to Fort Hall, we will pass Soda Springs, which is said to have the best tasting water in the country. The recent weather has been warm and sunny, with a temperature of about seventy-five degrees. Jonathon pulled a page out of one of my favorite books! I cannot believe that he would do such a thing! Not only that, but he did not even apologize! I certainly hope that I never was like Jonathon. I also hope that Jonathon grows out of this phase soon.
Sincerely,
Jonathon
August 2, 1849
Dear Journal,
I am so excited! Cassidy actually said that she likes me! I almost cannot believe my good fortune. I certainly hope she keeps this opinion of me, as it certainly makes me feel better. I had been afraid that Cassidy did not like me, but she does! On the thirty-first we crossed the Green River. I see why the river was named the Green river, as it is green. Fort Bridger, but we are expecting to obtain entry there within the next few days. I certainly hope so, as we are dangerously low on fresh water. We will starve of thirst if our water goes bad. We are still out of flour, as none of the other families are willing to trade for something of ours. I believe the reason the water is so low is that Jonathon opened the barrel and left the lid at an angle. That made it possible for much of the water to evaporate. I had discovered the lid open and closed it, but I did not tell anyone, and if I told Mother and Father now, they would not believe me. I certainly wish that I had told Father that Jonathon had left the water barrel open, but I did not, so I must not dwell in the past. I hope that Jonathon does not leave the lid at an angle again. I believe that we could not afford for Jonathon to make that mistake again. Yesterday I noticed a deer in a field nearby, and I was able to sneak up on it. I than let it become aware of me, but I acted as I did not want to hurt it, because that was true. Instead, I wanted to get near enough to touch it. Unfortunately, one of the men saw the deer and shot it before it could get to me. I had wanted to touch the deer when it was alive, but it just disgusted me when it was dead. I just cannot believe that Father is still unhappy about how far we have traveled, when we have traveled such a long way.
Sincerely,
William
August 9, 1849
Dear Journal,
I cannot believe it! Just as we ran out of water, Fort Bridger came into sight! We were saved by the fact that I had closed the barrel! When we got to the fort, we traded a fiddle for more water and we bought more flour. I am much happier, as is Mother. Jonathon has been reprimanded by father for leaving the water barrel open, as I explained the reason for our water shortage to him. I certainly hope that the reprimand is enough, because it would not be a good thing to run out of water in the middle of nowhere. When we left Fort Bridger, we headed north toward Fort Hall. Father says we are about halfway to the springs, and I believe him. Jonathon has heard about the springs, and hopes we get there really soon. I wish to get there soon as well, but I have also heard that drinking too much water from that spring can make you sick, and I have warned the family. Jonathon thinks that I am lying to get more water for myself, but I told him that since it is a spring the water keeps coming up. That settled Jonathon down, at least for a while. The weather for the first few days since I last wrote was sunny and warm, with a temperature of about eighty degrees. After that, it became warmer and cloudy. Today, it is about eighty-five and drizzling. Everything feels hot and stuffy. I certainly hope that the weather either cools down or it stops drizzling, as the current conditions ruin the day. This time Jonathon has spilled ink on one of my books, again! I cannot believe his stupidity! I almost wished he would just disappear, if only for the fact that if it happened he might be anywhere or he might be nowhere.
Sincerely,
William
August 18, 1849
Dear Journal,
We are back in Indian Territory! Father says that the Indians are friendly. He says that this tribe’s name is the Bannock. I certainly hope that the Indians are friendly. I hope that there is a light rain, as it is cloudy out. The temperature is about eighty-eight, and has been rising since my last entry. I drizzled for two days after my last entry, and then it became sunny out and the temperature peaked about two days ago. I certainly hope that the temperature dips soon, as I find this heat unbearable. I do not know what I could do if the temperature did not drop. We passed the Soda springs four days ago, and the water was heavenly. Jonathon gorged himself, and promptly became sick, as I had warned him. Father had only a little, as he believes that anything that brings too much pleasure is a temptation from the Enemy himself. Mother does not share that belief, but she followed my warning and did not have too much water. Jonathon got over the sickness in a couple days, and is all right by now. Father says that we are almost to Fort Hall, where we will travel south along the Snake River toward the Humboldt River. Mother is very happy, as she now has a greater variety of food to cook. Yesterday Father shot a deer while I took out the plant guide and gathered a large amount of edible plants, to the damage of my hands.
Sincerely,
William
August 22, 1849
Dear Journal,
We have even more meat now! There are two reasons that there is more meat. First, we met some of the Bannock and traded away a chicken we were keeping in the coop, as well as some eggs, for some meat. The other way we obtained meat was that I had found a turtle, which I knew was not indigenous to this area, asked around, and discovered that it belonged to the Jock family. In return for finding their turtle, they gave me some meat to take to my family. I certainly hope that the meat is good, as it took a lot of effort to find out who owned the turtle. I might like the meat, but I might not, I am a picky eater. We reached Fort hall on the twenty-first, then we started traveling south along the Snake River. We will be traveling along the Snake River for about two weeks, and then we will follow the Humboldt River southwest toward the Humboldt Sink. I think that “sink” means circular valley with no outlet, but I am not sure. The recent weather has been sunny, and it has been getting warmer, with today at about ninety-two degrees out, which is unbearable for me. I wish that the temperature would change to about seventy-two, because that is where I like it. I do not control the weather though, so that is not my choice. I hope that Archibald finds a different scratching post, as I just discovered that he had been using one of my books as a scratching post. I believe that Archibald is looking much thinner than last time I really looked at him, and I hope that he is doing all right. If Archibald dies, I do not know what I would do. I know what I would do if Mother, Father, or Jonathon died, because they are people. I certainly would mourn for Mother Father, or Jonathon, but should I mourn for a cat named Archibald? I certainly hope that Archibald does not die before I find the answer to this question.
Sincerely,
William
August 26, 1849
Dear Journal,
I cannot believe it! Cassidy actually searched for me! She was looking for someone to give her some advice on what to do with a pocket mouse her brother had caught, and I suggested for her to put it in a cage and give it to my brother to take care of. I told her that it would teach my brother how to care for an animal and to be a responsible person. She liked the Idea, and I suggested the idea to Father, and he liked it. Father says that we are not in Indian Territory any more, but that we will be in the territory of the Paiute in a few weeks. Father says that the Paiute are a friendly group that will not attack us, but rather help us. I certainly hope that the Paiute are like the Bannock Indians, as then we will be able to obtain more supplies. We are still traveling toward the Humboldt, but we expect to reach it in about two weeks travel. I almost cannot believe that we are about two-thirds of the way to California. The last four days have been sunny, with a temperature of about ninety degrees. If it does not cool down soon, the meat will spoil, and I will need to rest much more often. I might even crack in the hot weather, or get heat exhaustion. I cannot believe that I got out of an encounter that I had, and without a scratch! I ran into a rattlesnake two days ago, and I actually killed it. I was just walking along when I heard a rattling, and looked down to see a rattlesnake. I slowly leaned down and picked up a forked stick, which I used to hold down its head. I then picked up a rock and bashed its skull in, instantly killing it. After it was dead, I picked it up and brought it to the wagon, where Father cut off the rattle and gave it to me. When I told mother what had happened, she almost fainted with fright.
Sincerely,
William
September 1, 1849
Today our axle broke! Luckily we had bought another axle repair kit after the last time the axle broke, or we would be in big trouble. We had to stop for the day, and we could not continue. I missed Cassidy for the entire time. On the twenty-eighth we started on the California trail, I almost cannot believe that fact! I cannot believe that we are three-fourths of the way to the end of the trail! We expect to reach the Humboldt in one week’s time, which I believe is very fast. Father believes that we are still traveling too slowly, and I am starting to think that he started us on this journey without really thinking about it. I certainly hope this is not true, as Father is not one to lead the family into danger. It was drizzling out recently, and the temperature dropped to about eighty-six, which feels much cooler. I am much happier, and hope to reach lower temperatures soon, as I still feel hot. I cannot believe that nobody has become sick yet, although I probably just jinxed this fact by writing the fact down. I certainly hope not, as the diseases I have heard about are dangerous, and could kill any person in our wagon. The diseases could also kill everyone in the wagon, which makes them dangerous.
Sincerely,
William
September 5, 1849
Dear Journal,
Archibald has gone missing again! I cannot believe this! I certainly hope that he is all right, as I already miss him. Mother is sad, again, and Jonathon is happy, again. Father is unmoved, again, and I wish he would at least feel sorry for me. In about two days time we should reach the Humboldt River, which we will follow to the Humboldt Sink. I certainly hope we can reach the Humboldt Sink soon, as I am becoming tired of this constant traveling. The recent weather has been sunny, with a temperature of about eighty-five degrees. I am still hoping the temperature will go down, as I am still uncomfortably warm. Mother also feels uncomfortably warm, and has declared that she has a fever. I certainly hope that this is not true, as fevers can be dangerous, especially for some people. In about two weeks time, we will be in the territory of the Paiute, which are a friendly group of Indians. I wish all the Indians were friendly, as that would save a great many people from death. If all Indians were friendly, that would also make it safe to settle just about anywhere. If we could settle anywhere in the U.S. there would be a lot more cities and supplies, and the journey would not have to be so long.
Sincerely,
William,
September 12, 1849
Dear Journal,
Archibald is still missing! I hope that he is all right. If Archibald were dead Mother would be very sad, as would I. Jonathon, on the other hand, enjoys imagining cruel deaths for Archibald. I certainly hope that none of these deaths have come true. We are now following the Humboldt River, and I certainly hope that we will reach the Humboldt Sink soon, as that means that we are much closer to California. I certainly hope that we are very close to California. The weather recently has been warm, at about eighty degrees, and sunny. I certainly hope that it stays at about eighty, as I do not like the temperature very high or very low. If the temperature is too high, I can get sick, as well as when the temperature is too low. I hope that the temperature does not get too high or low during the rest of this journey. I saw a bobcat yesterday, but it quickly went away. I was happy about that, as bobcats are almost as dangerous as cougars. I hope that I never see a bobcat attack someone, as that might be very frightening. I also saw a gila monster, which is said to have a venomous bite, and is, therefore, dangerous. I certainly hope that a gila monster never bites me. Gila monsters are said to be very dangerous, as they can supposedly tear through flesh easily and painfully with their claws. I hope I never have to even get close to a gila monster in my life.
Sincerely,
William
September 18, 1849
Dear Journal,
Jonathon has pneumonia! Jonathon started to become very irritable a few days ago, and looked a little hot. Later, Jonathon started to cough, which worried mother. After she checked his temperature, she said that Jonathon has either pneumonia or influenza. After Jonathon’s stomach started to hurt, Mother declared that Jonathon has pneumonia. We have no clue how Jonathon contracted pneumonia, as no one else in the wagon train seems to be sick. Mother is taking care of Jonathon, and refuses to let anyone else near him. Mother says to stay away from Jonathon because the pneumonia might be contagious. We are still following the Humboldt, and I hope to reach the Humboldt Sink soon, though this does not seem likely. Father says that it will take almost a month to reach the sink, as it is still quite a ways off. Mother is worried because Jonathon is sick and travel seems to be slow. Archibald is back! I almost cannot believe that he made such a miraculous comeback for a second time! I hope that this time Archibald stays around, for it is getting dangerous for a cat like Archibald.
Sincerely,
William
September 25, 1849
Dear Journal,
Jonathon’s pneumonia has worsened! I certainly hope that he gets better, because he is a member of the family, and he deserves my hope. Mother is starting to look sick herself, just from all the work in taking care of Jonathon. I hope that Mother gets out of this problem all right, as I cannot imagine what life would be like without her. Without Mother, we would have no person to help us, to cook for us, or to take care of us when we were sick. Mother does not seem to have pneumonia, though, so I need not worry, yet. Father says that it will take us about three weeks to reach the Humboldt sink, where we will go the Truckee River and follow it into California. The recent weather was sunny, then cloudy, with a temperature of about seventy-nine degrees. I hope that the temperature stays the same, as always. I also hope that it rains, as we could use a little precipitation. The rain would make the entire area green, or so I have heard. We are almost out of Indian Territory for the rest of the journey, and I hope that we do not have to meet the Paiute. Mother is very sad, mainly because of Jonathon’s sickness. Another reason for Mother being sad is that some of the fabric that she was using to repair clothing disappeared one night, and we suspect that it was stolen. I do not understand why someone would steal such a rough fabric, as it is meant only for repairs.
Sincerely,
William
October 2, 1849
Dear Journal,
Jonathon has died! I cannot believe this, as I have known him for almost half of my life. Mother is devastated, and she will not stop crying, except in her sleep. The marker reads, “Here lies Jonathon T. Smith, who was born in 1844, died in 1849.” I certainly hope that I do not get pneumonia, as it could kill me. I feel hot, but I have been running around for Mother and Father today. I hope that I can make it through the final stretch of this journey all right, but I might not make it. Father has become aloof, and gone farther away from the group. I certainly hope that he and Mother make it through this trip all right and do not have too much trouble physically or mentally. Archibald is looking decidedly thinner, and I hope that that thought is just me. The recent weather has been cloudy and drizzling right after my last entry to sunny more recently, and the temperature has been about seventy-eight degrees. We are still traveling toward the Humboldt Sink, and hope to reach it in about two weeks.
Sincerely,
William
Here ends the Journal of William J. Smith II, who contracted pneumonia on the Third of October, 1849, and died three days later, on the sixth of October, 1849,
William (His Father)

dr. goodlife":19i22ozm said:
could have sworn it was going to be dysentery

See, you knew it was coming. Still, at least you didn't know how it would happen. Reading through this, I realize that there were a LOT of inaccuracies. Still, I was maybe 13-14 years old when I wrote this.

I think, for what you were trying to achieve, this was very good. There were a couple of inaccuracies and typos along the way, but it was interesting. I agree that it was kind of boring in places, but it ultimately made the idea that this was an actual journal more plausible.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.