Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Oculus Rift Cures Inverted-Mouse Gamers

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ing_mouse/

I find this hilarious when considering that a lot of people who play with inverted look find non-inverted weird and can't understand why people prefer non-inverted because 'inverted is the natural way'.

B4kpl.png

And then people cite diagrams such as this one?
Which suggests that when moving left the camera should turn to the right. Hmm.

The next problem on the list is 'players who believe that analogue sticks are superior to a mouse in an FPS game'.

united washcloth express":2kdfd6mw said:
Don't flight sims still default inverted controls?

Last flight sim I played was Descent, so I could be wrong.
Yes, the idea of inverted controls comes from the flight-stick, where pulling down would pull the craft's nose upward, which has been a standard in aeroplanes since, well, forever, so the idea of inverted look comes from kids who played flight sims and then moved onto FPS games.

I played Descent when I was younger and I think it defaulted to inverted but I am in no-way sure of that, it was such a long time ago and I was very young.

My brother recently started re-playing Metroid Prime. In the process, he discovered that he had to play the game inverted, because his automatic habits (apparently retained since his last playthrough where he used the default controls) prevented him from being successful with normal controls.

Automatic habits? Like when your leg uncontrollably starts vibrating when you bend your knee and ankle at a very specific angle?

Jason

Awesome Bro

"The next problem on the list is 'players who believe that analogue sticks are superior to a mouse in an FPS game'."

... I don't see a problem with this. My dad is terrible with a keyboard, so uses a wired 360 pad while playing FPS games on his PC, so to him it's superior... and to be honest, I prefer playing with a controller for just about any game genre other than RTS, but that's because I don't play many RTS games in the first place.

It's not a problem just because people think differently to you... there isn't a right or wrong, it's called preference.

No there is a right and wrong, the mouse is always more accurate than the analogue stick and science proves that and maybe religion will do too

Spoo

Sponsor

Accuracy is gonna be determined by the player no matter how you look at it. Not that it matters in the vast majority of cases -- it's generally gonna be mouse vs mouse or controller vs controller unless someone like Jason's dad opts to play. It's also worth noting that KB/M is utter shit in racing and fighting games, so there is that.

As for inverted playing, I kind of get the concept for analog sticks, at least. Inverted mouse is godawful IMHO.

Accuracy is determined by player, but a worse mouse user is better than the best analogue user.

This is quite an old rumour from a 3rd person game but many studios and companies have found this to be the case: http://www.techspot.com/news/39738-micr ... amers.html

It's a matter of preference, yeah, but you choose the preference to worsen your chances of winning?

This only applies to FPS, RTS and some 3rd person games, controller wins for everything else which is why every gamer should own one.

Edit: on consoles I will set the look sensitivity to maximum because otherwise it is like controlling a tank

Spoo

Sponsor

Oh yeah. That article.

I kind of hate that kind of comparison. Pitted against each other in a shooter, of fucking course KB/M is going to win over controllers. It's an uneven playing field -- like putting the US professional knitting team against the entire cast of WWE and telling them to go at it. Cross platform doesn't work for that exact reason and that's why that article is stupid.

Just put them head-to-head in Gran Turismo or MLB and see what happens. It's not that PC isn't a better option but...feeding douchebags' ego does nothing good for gaming in general.

I'm not sure why they allow mice vs controllers at all tbh, even the best balancing effort won't completely counter for the differences.

It's a simple matter of how the game is set up to be played. FPS games are inherently skewed towards the more precise actions available towards PC gamers, sure. But I would absolutely despise playing a Pokémon game on the pc. (Trust me, I've tried.)

Having never really played it on gameboy, I find Pokemon fine on PC. On the other hand as I have played it on PSX, Tony Hawk's and such are impossible.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.