Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

NPC & Player names on the map.

Hello.  :tongue:
I've recently gotten into my rmxp project again and I would like to request a script I've been looking for ages. It should be fairly easy to do. (It already exists in netplay+ actually, but I don't know where and how to get it working without netplay, so this is why I'm requesting this)

Well, basically the script is supposed to display the NPC (event) and the player's names on the map.
Something like this:
http://xs230.xs.to/xs230/08334/et4y45y4y4y4y4y4y4hfhfhn584.png[/img]

Details:

Shows the player's and some events (which you specify by a tag) name's on the map. For events there are groups which have different colors and maybe more if it's possible (like bold and italic). The name should also move with them of course.

In the script...
• Customizable font
• Customizable font size
• Customizable groups and group colors
(I'd probably like it like this, but I'm not sure so it would be best if it could be customizable ^^)
Player - Red
NPC's (merchants, villagers etc) - White
Some important objects or whatever - Green

And it would be great if it was possible to create more groups by yourself)

In the event:
• Some kind of tag or something in front of the name which indicates if this event's name should be shown or not. (no tag = wont show it) Otherwise it would be weird if it would show every single event on the map, doors, chimney smoke, etc. :p
• Some kind of tag or something in front of the name which indicates which group the event belongs to so it shows the right color (already wrote the groups earlier)

And some kind of a trigger you could call with the event script command that disables/enables the whole thing (for cutscenes for example).

That's how I think it should be, anyway. If it can't be done like this, or there's some easier way you can scrap my ideas and make it your way as long as the basics stay the same. :p

Ok, I think I've mentioned everything important now, I hope someone picks it up. ^^
Thanks in advance.  :smile:

The only one I can think of is this, BUT you must be using the SDK and the Method and Class Library, both of which you can find stickied in the Script Analysis forum. If not, then I'm sorry. It's the best I could think of.

Code:
#==============================================================================
# ** Event Icon & Text Display
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# SephirothSpawn
# Original Text Display By Ã

Thanks.
Yeah I'm using the SDK (at least some older version of it) and I added the MACL too, but I get an error.
http://xs230.xs.to/xs230/08334/55555555941.png[/img]
And I don't even know if this is what I'm looking for, so... :p

To turn off SDK dependancy, comment lines 73, 74, 76, 81, and the end statement that goes with line 81 ("if") (should be 283).
Then test it.  It will give you an error that it can't find a method from the MACL.
Go to the MACL, and get that method, and add it to your script.
Test again, repeat until you have everything you need.

Here's the result, de-SDK-fied...

Code:
#==============================================================================
# ** Event Icon & Text Display
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# SephirothSpawn
# Original Text Display By Ã

The MACL slowness really isn't caused by the mouse/keyboard system. They play a role yes, but actually there is a debug element left in one of the additions.

In RGSS.Character, find a line that looks like this
Code:
  def update
    refresh
    # some line
  end

Memorize the some line code and delete that method (from def down to end). Then scroll up a little and find that line. It'll be alias_method :something, :update. Delete that line. That should improve fps a bit.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.